Athens, GA Bands and Brews Itinerary
Athens has been called “Live Music Central” by The New York Times, the best college music scene by Rolling Stone, and one of America’s best cities for singer-songwriters by Livability.com. Home of legendary bands such as R.E.M., the B-52s, Widespread Panic, and the Drive by Truckers, you can hear live music nightly at acclaimed venues like the Georgia Theatre and 40 Watt Club.
Athens is also known as a rising star on the craft beer scene. Head to one of Athens’ local breweries and meet brewers passionate about crafting exceptional beer and capturing the creative energy of the town they love.
Your Bands and Brews Itinerary
Athens Music Walking Tour
- Stop off for a bite at Weaver D’s, whose soul food counter service inspired R.E.M.’s album title, “Automatic for the People.”
- Dine alongside local musicians at Mama’s Boy or The Grit.
Grab Some Gear
Browse through a real record store!
- Wuxtry is where members of R.E.M. first met.
- Seek out more hard-to-find albums and local band tees at Lo Yo Yo Stuff and Atomic Athens vintage.
- Score some hot new threads along Clayton St.’s boutiques and more vintage shops on Jackson St.
- Head to the UGA Special Collections galleries for interactive exhibits on all things Georgia, including broadcast media and music.
Live Music & Club Crawl
“I love the Athens audience. They’re not pretentious, but they do have high standards.”
--Musician Kishi Bashi
Start out at earlier shows you’ll find at
Stay out late with a national touring act, regional draw, or local favorite in Athens’ acclaimed clubs such as the
Check out upcoming music performances and special craft brewery events at our events calendar.
Craft Brewery Tour & Tastings
Spend happy hour at the source of good times and good beer, with a tour, tastings, and live music at
- The National is just across Hancock St. from Creature Comforts and is one of Athens’ most notable dining destinations.
- Continue with the craft beer theme at Trappeze Pub, with an on-point food menu plus extensive selection of beer on tap.
- Or, dine atop the rooftop of the Georgia Theatre for breathtaking sunset and city skyline views.
Head to Dudley Park to see the Trestle from R.E.M.'s Murmur album.
Georgia Theatre Marquee
Imagine your name in lights at one of Athens' most famous live music venues!
More Bands and Brews Tips:
As a freshman, there's nothing more exciting than finally being able to take part in all that the University…
Next in our series of profiles of Athenians who contribute to our town's creative energy: Timi Conley is one…
Although Athens is a small town, it's made its mark on the map for music! With 2016 being the "Year of Georgia…
With Athfest rolling around the corner, it's important to take a closer look at some of the performers that…
Sep 7 - Sep 7, 2016
Country music star “Whisperin’ Bill” Anderson will return to Athens Sept. 7 to perform specially selected…
Sep 13 - Sep 18, 2016
2016 is the inaugural year for the Athens/Clarke County Agricultural Fair. It is being held to promote…
Sep 17 - Sep 17, 2016
Indie South Fair is a curated open-air market that brings together artists, designers, and creative…
Sep 17 - Sep 17, 2016
Bring the whole family to the 440 Tailgate Series and enjoy a performance by the Weekend Getaway Band, a…