Make Athens your Valentine's getaway this February and let your creative side flourish! How about making a grand gesture with a reservation at a bed and breakfast, dinner and a show, or an evening under the stars? Or perhaps you simply want to spend a low-key day with the family. Athens, Georgia, has plenty of wonderful experiences for couples, Galentines, and families. Even better, they are all crafted to keep your comfort and safety in mind.
1. Bed & Breakfast Valentine's Getaway
Pack your weekender bag for a cozy two-night stay at ATH | BnB the Rushmore or Colonels Bed and Breakfast. ATH | BnB is nestled in the heart of Athens, in Five Points, and it's perfectly located so that you can walk for a lovely dinner out, a cup of sipping chocolate at Condor Chocolates or a massage at Advanced Massage Therapies.
Colonels has a Romance Package that includs Champaign or Belgian beer, fresh flowers, and snacks in a romantic setting by candlelight offered the weekend of February 11-13 and 18-20. The enchanting atmosphere of this charming, Southern B&B will add a new layer of romance to your weekend.
More Hotel Offers
2. Nothing says romance like music
Take your sweetheart for a spin at the Georgia Theatre on Friday, February 11th. Ripe, a seven-piece ensemble that samples from rock, funk, R&B, jazz, and pop through waves of improv and virtuosic melodies, are used to bringing folks to their feet. The groups sees dance music as an unstoppable groove, the result of the energy, friction, and communication between living and breathing people, not computers and electronics. Robbie Wulfsohn [vocals], Tory Geismar [guitar], Jon Becker [guitar], Sampson Hellerman [drums], Josh Shpak [trumpet], Calvin Barthel [trombone], and Nadav Shapira [bass] will fill the room with music so powerful you won't be able to help getting to your feet.
3. A Meal to Remember
Some of Athens' most creative geniuses are found in our acclaimed restaurants. During the pandemic, Athens restaurants have found plenty of ways to provide good food, good drink, and good times, all while staying safe. If you haven't experienced some of the new dining patios and gardens in Athens, here's your chance! And for Valentine's Day, Athens restaurants are bringing out all the stops to ensure the night will be a special one.
Here are just a few Athens restaurants with special Valentine's menus and offers:
- Butcher & Vine Athens had created a decadent night out for you and your Valentine! Chef Kory has prepared a special Valentine’s Day menu that you are sure to enjoy. While reservations are not required, they are recommended. To request your table, please email ButcherAndVine@gmail.com or call the Athens location at 706.850.7767.
- George's Lowcountry Table will have a special menu, so if you're in the mood for delicious crab cakes or tender filet mignon, head to their website to book a reservation!
- For something a bit more low-key, head to RuSan's Athens for sushi, a poke bowl, or one of their delicious fried rice dishes. Plus, on Valenetine's Day, you get a free dessert with purchase of an entree.
- If you and your date want to avoid the busy restaurants, treat yourself to a high-end Valentine's Champagne Tasting at Tapped Athens. They will walk you through a bubbly tasting of five special sparklers accompanied by hors d'oeuvres for that savory match.
More Valentine's Restaurant Special Offers
4. Pick up a sweet treat
Athens foodies will tell you that the Classic City is just bursting with sweetness, if you know where to look! Head to Condor Chocolates in Five Points or Condor Chocolates Downtown Cafe for a truffle, sipping chocolate, or another delicious chocolatey treat for you and your babe. Or surprise your Valentine with an Alumni Cookie Dough Valentine's box for $18 or an edible cookie dough mason jar for $14!
5. Cute Overload: Woo at the Zoo
Join in some Valentine's Day family fun at Bear Hollow Zoo! Meet ambassador animals and take a guided tour through the zoo and learn about how animals date, mate, and procreate! After you're done walking around the park and admiring Bear Hollow's cute creatures, check out the hiking trails that are located just beyond the zoo. Immersing yourself in nature is a great way to get closer to your significant other.
6. Ice Skating at the Foundry Pavilion
Looking for a more active evening? Consider venturing over to 440 Foundry Pavilion at The Classic Center for ice skating with your sweetheart or kids. Due to popular demand, the ice skating season has been extended through the end of February! Grab a seal or each other's hand so you don't fall. This sounds like the perfect excuse to get close as you glide across the ice. Make your reservation online!
We hope we've inspired you with these things to do for Valentine's Day in Athens! Looking for more Valentine's and romantic things to do in Athens? Check out our Athens Romance Itinerary!
This post was written by Hannah Smith in 2021 and revised and edited for 2022 by Shannon Dominy.