A Timetable for Planning Your Wedding in Athens, Georgia
12-18 Months Prior
While this is not a complete timetable, it will give you a good idea of how the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau can assist you over the course of your planning. A great first step is calling the Athens Convention and Visitors Bureau to talk with one of our staff members about your ideas and get some tips on where to start: 800.653.0603
- Discuss the style, formality, and size of your wedding, which will guide your venue choices
- Set date and budget for event
- Utilize our venue listings pages to learn more about the range of Athens, Georgia, venues and facilities for your ceremony and reception
- Contact venues and facilities to schedule site visits
- Consider and hire any vendors you may need for your event: caterers, photographers, videographers, entertainers, transportation. The Athens CVB is a proud member of Athens Wedding Professionals, whose members include vendors providing all categories of bridal and wedding services
- Sign contracts with venues to secure space for your event
Six to Twelve Months Prior
Now is the time to make hotel room block reservations. The Athens CVB can assist with this duty--see the Weddings FAQ for more information on how hotel room block reservations work.
- Gauge the approximate number of guests who will be traveling in for the event and will require overnight accommodation, and set up hotel blocks for those guests to book through
- Confirm reservations and contracts with vendors
- Talk with staff at venues to have your questions answered and make sure the facilities meet your needs
Two Weeks to Two Months Prior
As you get closer to the event, the details come into focus. You may want to request welcome bags or brochures that may be of interest to your guests.
- Order brochures or welcome packets using our request form and coordinate a pickup time
- Check out the CVB online calendar of events for special happenings taking place during your wedding weekend. Click on the "Add to Itinerary" button for each event or attraction you'd like to recommend to your guests, then print or email to family and friends and post on your event website
- Reconfirm all accommodations and bookings with hotels, venues and vendors
Contact the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau for more assistance with your wedding planning, 706.357.4430, toll free 800.653.0603.