Memorial Park and Bear Hollow Zoo
- 293 Gran Ellen Dr., Athens, GA 30605
- (706) 613-3580
Memorial Park is one of the most popular family attractions in Athens. Nestled in the Five Points neighborhood, the park is home to Bear Hollow Zoo, the Birchmore Trail, a small lake, and expansive picnic and playground equipment. The number and size of the trees make a wonderfully-shaded spot on even warm summer days. Admission to all areas and attractions is free.
Bear Hollow Zoo:
Bear Hollow Zoo is a popular place for families to come and see Georgia’s native wildlife. This small wildlife trail is home to black bears, bobcats, white-tailed deer, owls, and many other species of wild, free-living animals.
- The Birchmore Trail is a 1.25-mile trail that winds through an urban forest and is highlighted by the Great Wall of Happy Hollow, which was built single-handedly by local legend Fred Birchmore while in his 70s.
- The Lake Walkway Loop is a paved walking path that runs three-eights of a mile around the Memorial Park lake.
Bear Hollow Pod Tour:
Listen to these podtours to learn more about the animals in Bear Hollow.
- The History of Bear Hollow
- The Otters
- The Owls
- The Woodchucks
- The Alligator
- The Deer and the Turkey
- The Bald Eagle
- The Bobcats
- The Bears
- The Screech Owls
- The Opossum
- The Red-Tailed Hawk and the Great Horned Owl
@visitathensga Bear Hollow Zoo is Athens’ local zoo! The whole family will enjoy 🐻#bearhollowzoo ♬ Adventure - Chris Alan Lee