- 201 N. Milledge Ave., Athens, GA 30602
Sitting at the edge of the University and community (near the Varsity), this unusual octagonal building with an exquisite Victorian interior has been restored in a way that allows for its use by a wide variety of University and community groups for plays, concerts, lectures, weddings, meetings, and other special events.
HERITAGE: The Seney-Stovall Chapel was built in 1882 as the chapel for the Lucy Cobb Institute, a boarding school for girls that opened in 1859, and for community cultural events. The chapel was abandoned shortly after World War II, was transferred to the University of Georgia in 1953, and deteriorated until 1961 when the slow process of restoration was begun. Restoration of the Chapel, which has been referred to as the "crown jewel" of the Lucy Cobb Complex, was completed in 1997.The chapel is shown by appointment only. Please call to arrange an appointment. All visitors to the Seney-Stoval Chapel must sign in with the receptionist at the Lucy Cobb Building (adjacent to the chapel). Use the Milledge Ave entrance to Lucy Cobb; all other doors are locked for security reasons.
MEETING & EVENT PLANNERS:
The Spalding Theatre, which seats 240, and the Conference/Green Room, which seats 45, are rented to the public. No food or drink are allowed.