Athens-Clarke County Library & Heritage Room
- 2025 Baxter St.|
- Athens GA 30606
- Region: Baxter-Alps-Beechwood
The Athens Clarke County Library offers extensive holdings, a Heritage research room, and wide range of programming, from workshops to live music to movie screenings.
Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Friday - Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday 2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
The Heritage Room provides extensive history and genealogy resources from the Athens area, the state of Georgia, and the Southeastern United States. Features in their new greatly expanded space, include local history displays and a new ScanPro 2000. They are happy to help you with your research!
Among the Heritage Room resources:
- All Athens newspapers on Microfilm
- Newspaper Abstract books
- Athens-Clarke County Local History collection
- Civil War Reference Sets, including Rosters and Pension Index
- Clarke County Deeds & Mortgages (and their Indexes) on Microfilm
- Athens City Directories (some gaps; some on Microfilm only)
- Athens-Clarke County Yearbooks § General genealogy resources
- Family name histories
- Georgia City Directories on Microfilm
- University of Georgia Pandoras, 1930-1993 (some gaps)
- Passenger List and immigration resources
- Clarke County Wills & Estate Records on Microfilm
- Clarke County Marriage Records on Microfilm
- Native American genealogy resources
- Revolutionary War Indexes and Pension Files
- General Civil War history
- State and some County resources for New England, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, and, of course, Georgia
HERITAGE ROOM HOURS:
Wednesday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Thursday 1:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday 2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
The Heritage Room's blog, This Day in Athens, provides fascinating tidbits of information; check it out!
The Library Store
The Library Store has moved to a new location, near the front entrance of the building.They offers a selection of books, children's games and activities. Geodes, collectible stones, and puzzles are best sellers. A great gift idea is a collection of decorative magnets made from Jinja Fair Trade. These magnets are made by people in a Kenyan village for sale worldwide with proceeds benefitting their health clinic.
Due to popular demand, the Library Store has added several local Athens-made products including:
- Bookmarks, notecards and prints of original oil paintings by S. V. Bricka,
- Ruffle scarves hand-knit by Priscilla Golley,
- Silk scarves hand-painted by Lorna Messing,
- Athens postcards, journals and prints from Double-Dutch Press,
- Hand-made journals by Rachel Parham, and
- Whimsical monster purses by Clara Mongoose.
THE LIBRARY STORE HOURS:
Monday - Thursday 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.