Five & Ten
- 1073 S. Milledge Ave.|
- Athens GA 30605
- Region: Five Points
Five & Ten is the flagship restaurant of two time James Beard Award- winning chef Hugh Acheson. The restaurant merges soul food with old world cuisine, blending contemporary American food with French and Italian influences.
Chef/Owner Hugh Acheson has developed a national reputation: he won the James Beard Award for Best Chef: Southeast in 2012 as well as the James Beard Award for Best Cookbook, "A New Turn in the South." The James Beard Awards are considered "the Oscars of the food world." Acheson has appeared on Bravo TV as a cheftestant on Top Chef Masters and as a Top Chef judge.
In 2013, Five & Ten moved to the historic Hawthorne House, built by architect Fred Orr in the early twentieth century. The original home was left mostly untouched, although a kitchen was added to the back of the building. There are many dining rooms, a spacious bar, a coffee bar, as well as patio seating at the new location.
The bar opens daily at 5 p.m. and dinner service begins at 5:30 p.m. The restaurant's final seating is at 9:30 Sunday through Thursday, and 10:30 on Fridays and Saturdays. Brunch is served on Sundays from 10:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.
The new restaurant offers parking and space for private events.
Reservations can be made for private parties such as bridal luncheons, business meetings, corporate luncheons, or cocktail parties during the day or night.
AWARDS, MEDIA & REVIEWS:
- Named to Wine Enthusiast's Restaurant Hall of Fame, 2018
- Chef Richard Neal named one of 2018's Star Chef's Rising Stars
- Wine Enthusiast named Five & Ten on their list of America's 100 Best Wine Restaurants of 2016
- Georgia Trend recognized Five & Ten with the 2016 Silver Spoon Award
- "The New Wave of Wine: 6 Sommeliers to Watch in 2015," Steven Grubbs, Bon Appetit, Dec. 31, 2014
- "Best Southern Restaurants," Southern Living, August 2014
- Silver Spoon Award, Georgia Trend, November 2013
- Southern Living, August 2013: "100 Places to Eat Now"
- Hugh Acheson, Best Chef: Southeast and Best Cookbook: A New Turn in the South. James Beard Awards 2012
- Georgia Trend, August 2011: Food critic Krista Reese writes, "If you don't like Five & Ten, you don't like food." >>more
More press here.
- Private/Group Dining:
- Full Bar:
- Reservations Accepted:
- Call Ahead Seating:
- Handicap Accessible:
- Catering Services:
Additional Property Information
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Handicap Accessible:
- Onsite Restaurant/Food Vendor:
- Parking Available:
- Description Private events with guest counts of 10-100 can be organized with our unique facility. Contact us for details.
- Largest Room 42
- Total Sq. Ft. 1100
- Reception Capacity 90
- Theatre Capacity 20
- Banquet Capacity 90
- Number of Rooms 5
- Classroom Capacity 20
Dining Room 2
- Total Sq. Ft.: 255
- Theater Capacity: 20
- Classroom Capacity: 20
- Banquet Capacity: 24
- Reception Capacity: 15