Tourism Strategic Plan for Athens, Georgia
Curating a Community
This roadmap will guide the investment of human and financial resources and improve Athens’ positioning in a highly competitive marketplace. The plan is intended to enhance both the destination AND the community—a great place to live is usually a great place to visit, and vice versa.
The Athens tourism strategic plan was informed by several research initiatives during late 2021 and 2022, including:
- Interviews with meeting and event planners from across Georgia and nearby states
- Surveys of regional leisure travelers within easy driving distance of Athens
- Surveys of Athens-Clarke County residents
- Interviews and focus groups with Athens-Clarke County tourism stakeholders and partners
This strategic plan is built around four strategic imperatives. These pillars are the “must-dos” for Athens—the CVB, its partners, and the community--to enhance and grow its visitor economy during the period of the plan, and beyond. Each imperative has strategies and action items associated with them, and clear delineation of responsibilities. These strategies and action items are based upon a realistic portfolio of resources, both human and financial. Athens tourism doesn’t lack for ideas. What it doesn’t have is unlimited money and time, and so what the community needs is focus. This plan is intended to provide that focus.
- Enhance the Athens visitor experience
- Create greater connectivity among and to destination assets
- Leverage the University of Georgia as an everyday tourism asset
- Feed the Athens brand
Download the Executive Summary to learn more about the details of the plan.
To get involved, contact Katie Williams at KatieW@VisitAthensGa.com.