Athens, GA Romance Itinerary
Whether your relationship bloomed as UGA students or you simply enjoy a vibrant cultural and food scene, you'll love this romantic Athens, Georgia itinerary.
Experience gourmet cuisine, live music, and on-point shopping without having to deal with the hustle and bustle of a large city. Athens is the perfect romantic getaway for you and your partner to celebrate an anniversary, dreamy Valentine’s Day, or any other special occasion.
- Unwind and de-stress. You're in Athens, and happy hour awaits! After checking in to your hotel, head to one of Athens' craft breweries for a tour and tasting, up to the Georgia Theatre rooftop for an unbeatable view of downtown, or to the Globe, Seabear or The Old Pal for a top-notch craft cocktail.
- So many choices, so little time! Go for casual but elevated southern fare with a view - at Pulaski Heights BBQ next to the train tracks or The Place, overlooking UGA's historic North Campus. Feel more upscale? Check out Seabear Oyster Bar or The National for a high-end experience without the big city price.
- After dinner, experience Athens' renowned live music scene! Athens has a rich musical history and the scene is more varied than ever, with bands playing everything from country to rock and roll to blues to classical to hip hop. Explore Athens' music venues and performance calendars to see what suits your mood!
Overnight in one of Athens' hotels. Find and book your Athens Georgia hotel today!
- Start off your day right by eating a hearty breakfast at Big City Bread, with one of Athens' most expansive and beautiful tree-shaded patios! Make sure to try their delicious freshly baked bread, pastries, and desserts while you’re there. Or, for a lighter bite, check out 1000 Faces Coffee for an unforgettable brew, freshly baked goods from local favorite, The Comerian, and seriously good vibes.
UGA North Campus
- Time to explore! UGA alumnae will reminisce on your Georgia glory days, and everyone will be awed by UGA's historic North Campus, which is modeled after Yale University. It is home to some of the oldest buildings in Athens, dating back to the start of classes in 1801. Walk through the Arch on Broad Street through the shaded quads and past the fountain on Herty Field. Explore the hidden gardens and fountains to find the perfect spot to stop and chat, or even plan a picnic!
State Botanical Garden of Georgia
- Located on over 300 acres, the State Botanical Garden of Georgia offers beautiful scenery and a romantic landscape to spend quality time together. Hike over 5 miles of trails, explore Athens' southern roots in the Heritage Garden, discover the flora of the world in International Garden, and marvel at the soaring tropical conservatory.
- .Bonus: the wonderful garden gift shop at the State Botanical Garden is a little-known secret, featuring a wide range of local products!
- Athens has plenty one-of-a-kind shops that are definitely worth stopping by. Wuxtry Records has been around for over 40 years-- vinyl has never been out of style in Athens! For more vintage finds, check out Atomic Athens, Agora Vintage, or Dynamite Vintage Clothing for mid-century modern nirvana! Athens' creative energy is on display at retailers featuring local makers, such as Bear Hug Honey, or quirky charm, like Cillies Clothing.
Bond over Books
- Head to Five Points to one of the nation's best independent bookstores. Avid Bookshop employees will have just the right recommendation for your next must-read!
- There's never a wrong time to indulge in world-class chocolate, so be sure to stop by Condor Chocolates at their location in Five Points or at the Condor Chocolates Downtown Cafe, for bean-to-bar Ecuadorian chocolate or Choco Coffee. Everything is delicious, but may we suggest truffles and the sipping chocolate.
- Dine at Five & Ten, from nationally-acclaimed Athens chef Hugh Acheson. The restaurant is located along S. Milledge Avenue in the Five Points historic district, in a circa-1920 Colonial Revival home.
Return to your hotel. Find and book your Athens Georgia hotel today!
- Before heading home, indulge in one last amazing meal in Athens -- brunch! Mama's Boy's fun and inventive menu is available seven days a week. Fancier Sunday brunch favorites include Five & Ten, Last Resort and The National, and if you're in the mood for something more low-key check out Five Athens or Hi-Lo Lounge.