Two Day Athens Itinerary
48 hours in the Classic City is bound to be a two day trip like no other! Athens is often called one of the best college towns in America, and we know you'll see why after hanging out here for a few days. With just two days, there's no time to waste, so we’ve compiled a thorough itinerary for you and your crew to use to help you hit all the must-dos of Athens. This is a true, "get to know Athens" itinerary, and you'll cross paths with plenty of locals along the way, so you can be assured you're in all the hot spots.
From touring UGA’s historic North Campus to happy hour to browsing through the Georgia Museum of Art, we’ve got you covered to enjoy every moment of your two day stay!
Welcome to Athens!
- Leave the crowds and stress of your workweek and regular life behind-- relax, you're in Athens! Drop your bags at your hotel and set out to explore. Find and book your Athens Georgia hotel today!
Heritage Tour of Athens
- Classic City Tours depart daily from the Athens Welcome Center. You'll begin your tour inside Athens’ oldest surviving residence, then board the tour bus for a one-hour overview of magnificent Antebellum homes and historic neighborhoods. [Don't forget to reserve your spot 24 hours ahead of time.]
University of Georgia's Historic North Campus
- Cross over Broad Street through the iconic Arch and you'll be stepping back in time over two centuries, to the birthplace of public higher education in America. The University of Georgia was chartered in 1789 and the Historic North Campus was modeled after Yale. Magnificent Greek Revival buildings date back to the start of classes in the first decade of the 19th century. Take a self-guided walking tour here, which includes the UGA Chapel, the Chapel Bell, and Herty Field and Fountain.
Evening- Late Night
- Athens is world-renowned for its music, and the live music scene today is bigger and more diverse than ever. On almost any night of the week, you'll find bands playing everything from rock to Americana to blues to hip hop. Pick a performer and a venue like Georgia Theatre, 40 Watt Club, or The Foundry from our live music listings, or plan to club hop to a few; small cover charges make that totally do-able!
Return to your hotel. Find and book your Athens Georgia hotel today!
- Sweet or savory? Regardless of your breakfast preferences, Athens restaurants aim to please. Mama's Boy is a local favorite known for humongous biscuits, savory skillets, plus decadent choices like Chocolate Cake for Breakfast and seasonal French Toast. For lighter fare, check out 1000 Faces Coffee for the freshest brews and pastries.
State Botanical Garden of Georgia
Georgia Museum of Art
- Did you know? Athens is home to Georgia's official state art museum, with a permanent collection of over 10,000 works plus dozens of exhibitions per year. Don't miss out on visiting the Georgia Museum of Art while you're in Athens.
- So little time, and so many dining options to choose from! Check out Clocked! or The Grill for amazing burgers, or go vegetarian at The Grit or Maepole or with the "power lunch" at The National. Barbecue fans will love the variety of sauces and sides at Pulaski Heights BBQ, Saucehouse, or Dawg Gone Good BBQ.
- The Firefly Trail runs right into downtown behind The Classic Center and the Homewood Suites and is a multi-use rails-to-trails project which will extend 39-miles from Athens to Union Point. The first 1-mile segment, including a 500' bridge over the North Oconee River and a connection to the North Oconee River Greenway and Dudley Park, is now open.
Shop & Stroll Through Downtown
- Be sure to take time to pop into all the cool shops along Clayton Street. You can browse through vinyl and music memorabilia at Wuxtry Records or Low Yo Yo Stuff and the hippest vintage stores ever, like Atomic Athens, Dynamite, and Agora Vintage. Plus there are plenty of other independently-owned shops, such as Community displaying items from local makers
What craft beer and restaurants haven't you tried yet? We hope you've got time for another leisurely dinner & drink before you head home!