Athens Wedding Planning Guide
Make the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau a key point of contact for planning a memorable wedding. Many of Athens' hotels and restaurants offer group services and special rates.
Athens wedding and reception sites and venues
Browse our facilities list to find the perfect space from our wide array of venues.
Choose a natural setting at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia, an intimate gathering at a local historic house museum, or a wide range of settings at the state-of-the-art Classic Center.
Hotel group room block bookings
Athens hotels offer a wide range of settings, amenities, locations and price points.
Browse our Athens hotels list to find the right fit and Director of Sales contacts.
Athens experiences and tours
Athens has a number of exceptional and distinctive tour offerings, from history to music to food.
Immerse your guests in the Athens experience with any of these group offerings for your wedding guests.
Wedding guest welcome bags
Request Athens Visitors Guides and Welcome Bags here.
Athens Wedding Planning Timetable
While this is not a complete timetable, it will give you a good idea of how the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau can assist you over the course of your planning.
12-18 MONTHS PRIOR
- Discuss the style, formality, and size of your wedding, which will guide your venue choices.
- Set date and budget for event.
- Utilize our Athens wedding and reception venue listings pages to learn more about the range of Athens, Georgia, venues and facilities for your ceremony and reception.
- Contact venues and facilities to schedule site visits.
- Consider and hire any vendors you may need for your event: caterers, photographers, videographers, entertainers, transportation. You will find a range of high-quality professionals on our vendor resource page.
- Getting married in Athens is an excellent reason to Hire an Athens Musician to capture the true local flavor of this music town.
- Sign contracts with venues to secure space for your event.
SIX TO TWELVE MONTHS PRIOR
Now is the time to make hotel room block reservations. Athens has a wide range of hotels and we have all of them listed on our Athens hotels page. Contact the Director of Sales at the hotels you are most interested in speaking with.
- Gauge the approximate number of guests who will be traveling in for the event and will require overnight accommodation, and set up hotel blocks for those guests to book through
- Confirm reservations and contracts with vendors
- Talk with staff at venues to have your questions answered and make sure the facilities meet your needs
TWO WEEKS TO TWO MONTHS PRIOR
As you get closer to the event, the details come into focus. You may want to request welcome bags or brochures that may be of interest to your guests.
- Order brochures or welcome packets using our request form and coordinate a pickup time
- Check out the CVB online calendar of events for special happenings taking place during your wedding weekend.
- Reconfirm all accommodations and bookings with hotels, venues and vendors
For further details and assistance with your wedding planning, please contact:
Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau