Athens GA Wedding Planning Guide
Athens is one of the best places to have a wedding in Georgia. There are wonderful wedding venues and reception venues, plus top professional vendors who provide personal service to make your dream wedding come true. Whether you met while attending the University of Georgia, are die-hard Georgia Bulldog fans, or are seeking just the right spot and vibe for your wedding, Athens has plenty of options for venues to get married. Search below for the venues and services that are right for you.
Visit Athens is the official destination marketing organization for Athens-Clarke County, which means we can be a key resource and point of contact in your wedding planning. In addition to comprehensive listings of wedding and reception venues, did you know that we can also help with your hotel room blocks for your wedding guests? And, many of Athens' hotels and restaurants offer group services and special rates.
Where are the best wedding venues in Athens GA?
Athens has such a range of beautiful settings for weddings, to suit every style imaginable.
- Choose a natural setting at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia
- An intimate gathering at a National Historic Landmark like the Taylor-Grady House
- A wide range of settings at The Classic Center, from modern ballrooms to soaring atriums to historic charm.
- And many more!
Browse our facilities list to find the perfect space from Athens' wide array of wedding venues.
How do I make hotel room blocks for my wedding guests?
Athens hotels offer a wide range of settings, amenities, locations and price points.
- First, browse our Athens hotels list to find the right fit of location, style, amenities, and price point.
- Contact the hotel directly and speak to their Director of Sales for group room block options for weddings.
- Contact the Visit Athens Destination Services Manager for assistance with room blocks. We'll be happy to help!
Athens experiences and tours
One of the reasons couples and their families love to get married in Athens is that there is so much for guests to do during the weekend. Athens has a number of exceptional and distinctive tour offerings, including history and music heritage tours, craft beer tours and tastings, and plenty of other activities like duckpin bowling, axe throwing, climbing walls, the top-ranked UGA Golf Course, spa days and more!
Immerse your guests in the Athens experience with any of these group offerings for your wedding guests.
Wedding guest welcome bags
Request our award-winning Athens Insider Guides or Welcome Bags here.
Athens Wedding Planning Timetable
While this is not a complete timetable, it will give you a good idea of how Visit Athens can assist you over the course of your planning.
12-18 MONTHS PRIOR
- Discuss the style, formality, and size of your wedding, which will guide your venue choices.
- Set date and budget for event.
- Utilize our Athens wedding and reception venue listings pages to learn more about the range of Athens, Georgia, venues and facilities for your ceremony and reception.
- Contact venues and facilities to schedule site visits.
- Consider and hire any vendors you may need for your event: caterers, photographers, videographers, entertainers, transportation. You will find a range of high-quality professionals on our vendor resource page.
- Getting married in Athens is an excellent reason to Hire an Athens Musician to capture the true local flavor of this music town.
- Sign contracts with venues to secure space for your event.
SIX TO TWELVE MONTHS PRIOR
Now is the time to make hotel room block reservations. Athens has a wide range of hotels and we have all of them listed on our Athens hotels page. Contact the Director of Sales at the hotels you are most interested in speaking with, or our Visit Athens Destination Services Manager for assistance.
- Gauge the approximate number of guests who will be traveling in for the event and will require overnight accommodation, and set up hotel blocks for those guests to book through
- Confirm reservations and contracts with vendors
- Talk with staff at venues to have your questions answered and make sure the facilities meet your needs
TWO WEEKS TO TWO MONTHS PRIOR
As you get closer to the event, the details come into focus. You may want to request welcome bags or brochures that may be of interest to your guests.
For further details and assistance with your wedding planning, please contact:
Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau