Top 5 Things to Do on a Football Weekend Road Trip to Athens
A football weekend in Athens involves much more than action at Sanford Stadium and tailgating. When the dust clears at Sanford Stadium, what else is there to do in Athens when in town for the football game? A road trip weekend visit to Athens should include some of these "Top Five" attractions and activities for fans:
1. Listen to Live Music
No visit to Athens would be complete without sampling a bit of Athens' renowned music scene. Known worldwide as the birthplace of R.E.M. and the B-52s, hundreds of bands still call Athens home. Venues throughout downtown like the famous 40 Watt Club and Georgia Theatre attract rising stars and old favorites.
2. Tour Bulldog Heritage
- Head into town a day early and take part in the UGA Special Collections Libraries' Friday Football Tours. A variety of tales and memorabilia will have you in awe.
- Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall houses the Georgia Bulldog Hall of Fame as well as a plethora of memorabilia that is a must-see for any die-hard Bulldog fan.
- Revel in all the Bulldog Traditions, from Dawg Walk to calling the dawgs!
3. Discover Local Athens Craft Breweries
Looking to sample a beer in the city it is brewed? Visit one of Athens's six craft breweries along the Athens Beer Trail to see how award-winning craft beer is made! Each Athens brewery has its own style, in both setting and beer. What you’ll find at all of them is a comfortable, approachable brewery with folks who are passionate about beer. All breweries are family-friendly (21+ to taste, of course.) Plan ahead to find your perfect spot and check for special gameday hours.
4. Enjoy Athens Restaurants
Athens has always served up good fried chicken, barbeque, and shrimp and grits. Recently, the food scene has grown and matured, bringing visitors from across the Southeast to sample food from chefs and restaurants making a name for themselves on the regional and national scene. Don't miss a chance to try them out when you're in town, whether as a celebratory meal after a Georgia Bulldog victory or a decadent brunch on Sunday prior to heading home.
There are also plenty of Athens restaurants with great outdoor patios!
5. Visit Athens Attractions
Who says a football weekend has to be nothing but football? Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, but we highly recommend taking a little time on Sunday, or staying an extra night, to see some sights you may not have seen before, or have changed -- a lot -- since you were a student.
- Athens Welcome Center and Historic Athens Tours offer guided and self-guided tours of Athens heritage.
- Georgia Museum of Art is the state's official art museum and has an extensive permanent collection plus acclaimed traveling exhibitions.
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia, the state's official garden, has five miles of nature trails, expansive gardens, a stunning conservatory, and a designated birding area.
More Football Weekend Tips
- Visit our Things to Do page and our Blog for more ideas!
- Keep up with UGA campus and Athletic Association updates at the University of Georgia's Gameday Central page.
- See what spots The Athletic visited and restaurants they checked out on their "Official Visit" to Athens!
Georgia ‘Official Visit’ – Sanford Stadium, Georgia Theatre and the best places to eat and drink