The staff of the Athens Welcome Center have put together this handy list of their most frequently asked questions about Athens, Georgia.
Where is the Welcome Center located?
The Athens Welcome Center: is located at 280 E. Dougherty St., on the corner of Thomas and Dougherty Streets in Downtown Athens. If traveling East on Broad Street, take a left onto Thomas Street, and the Welcome Center will be four blocks down on your left. Free wireless Internet is available.
Hours: Monday-Saturday 10-5, Sunday 12-5. 706-353-1820, 866-455-1820.
The University of Georgia Visitors Center: UGA Campus, Four Towers Building, at 405 College Station Rd. just across from the Intramural Fields.
Hours: Monday-Friday 8-5, Saturday 9-5, Sunday closed.
Are tours of Athens available?
Yes! Historic Athens Tours offers walking, driving, and self-guided tours. which leave from the Historic Athens Welcome Center. The guided tours last approximately 1½ hours and can be booked online. You may also call 706-208-8687 for reservations. Special tours for Music History and African American History are also available for groups of 5 or more by advance arrangement.
The University of Georgia Visitors Center also offers free daily tours of the university. Call 706-542-0842 or visit http://www.visit.uga.edu for more information and to make a reservation.
Do your own thing:
- Several self-guided tour brochures and an audio tour are also available at the Athens Welcome Center and online at http://www.athenswelcomecenter.com/.
- Check out a variety of other itineraries.
What historic houses can I tour?
Two house museums in Athens are currently open to the public
- Church-Waddel-Brumby House (c.1820)
- Ware-Lyndon House (c.1850)
- T.R.R. Cobb House (1852) is closed for maintenance
Where is the State Botanical Garden of Georgia?
The State Botanical Garden of Georgia is located at 2450 South Milledge Avenue. The gardens are open 8- to sunset daily, and the Visitor Center is open 9-4:30 Tuesday-Saturday and 11:30-4:30 Sunday. There is no admission fee to the gardens.
What bed and breakfasts are in Athens-Clarke County?
- The Colonels, 3890 Barnett Shoals Rd.
- ATH|BNB, S. Milledge Ave.
The Athens CVB represents ALL lodging in Athens-Clarke County. See our listings and online reservations pages here.
Where are the Tree that Owns Itself and the Double-Barreled Cannon?
The Tree that Owns Itself is located at the intersection of Finley and Dearing Streets. The Double-Barreled Cannon is located in front of City Hall Downtown, with the Cannon facing due North, just in case.
Where is Weaver D's?
Weaver D's is located on East Broad Street just before you get to the river. As you are leaving downtown, continue on Broad Street. Weaver D's will be on the right before you cross the river. Automatic, Y'all.
Where can I go for vegetarian food in Athens?
There are lots of options:
- The Grit specializes in Southern Vegetarian Cuisine and is located on Prince Avenue, about three blocks from Downtown Athens.
- Most of the restaurants downtown offer vegetarian options including, but not limited to,
- Taco Stand,
- Thai Spoon,
- Taste of India,
- and many more. See our dining page for more details.
How do you get to 441 North and 441 South from Athens?
To 441 North from Downtown Athens: N. Thomas St. will become North Ave. Take a left onto Martin Luther King, Jr., Parkway. MLK Parkway will turn into 441 North as you leave Athens.
To 441 South from N. Thomas St.: Travel East on Oconee Street for approximately two miles. There will be a Waffle House on your right; take a right after this light onto Loop 10. Exit at the Watkinsville/Madison Exit, 441 South.
Where are the main shopping districts?
- Don't miss a walk down Clayton St. and the rest of Downtown Athens for storefront after storefront of local, independently-owned businesses including vintage boutiques, record stores, hand-tooled leather, jewelry artists, and more.
- Head down Prince Avenue towards Boulevard and Normaltown for an eclectic selection of shops, including vintage boutiques and a local hardware store.
- Five Points also has numerous specialty shops that have been featured in Southern Living magazine.
- Other shopping areas include Beechwood on Alps Road and Georgia Square Mall on the West Side of Athens, off Atlanta Highway.
- See our shopping page for more details.
Where is the Chamber of Commerce located?
The Athens Area Chamber of Commerce is located in Downtown Athens at 246 West Hancock Street, between Hull and Pulaski Streets.
Where is the Georgia Museum of Art?
The GMOA is the state of Georgia's official art museum and holds over 17,000 works in its permanent collection plus hosts stellar visiting exhibitions. The museum is located at 90 Carlton Street on the University of Georgia Campus. Leaving Downtown Athens, travel south on East Campus Road, and take a left onto Carlton Street. The museum is on the left. Free admission.
Where is Sanford Stadium, home of the University of Georgia football team?
Sanford Stadium is located in the center of the UGA campus on Sanford Drive.
Where can I find music-related sites in town?
Pick up a copy of the walking tour of Athens Music History at the Athens Welcome Center or download one for free at http://www.athenswelcomecenter.com/selfguidedtours.html.
Where can I go fishing in Athens?
Fishing (with a valid permit) is allowed at Dudley Park. From the Athens Welcome Center, take a right onto North Avenue. At the 2nd light, take a right onto MLK Parkway and Dudley Park will be located on your right.
Lake Herrick on the UGA Campus also allows fishing. See our outdoors and recreation page for more information.
Is there a place in Athens that rents bicycles?
Athens is a very bicycle-friendly town. Several bike rental locations are available, including:
- The Hub in Five Points
- Georgia Cycle Sport on Baxter St.
How can I find out about current happenings in Athens?
Click HERE to see the Athens Community Calendar. You can also pick up a free copy of Flagpole Magazine from almost anywhere in town for information about art, music, movies and other performances.
How can I find an apartment or place to live?
There are many publications with apartment and real estate listings. See the Relocation page of this website.
How can I get information about Athens area schools (K-12)?
- The Clarke County School District, 706-546-7721, is located at 240 Mitchell Bridge Road.
- The Athens Area Chamber of Commerce, 706-549-8600, also has school information.
Where can I get, or renew my driver's license?
The Georgia Department of Driver Services is located at 1505 Highway 29 North. Their phone number is (678) 413-8400.
Many services are offered online, so check the website first before going in person.
Where are the hospitals located?
There are two hospitals in Athens.
- Athens Regional Medical Center is located at 1199 Prince Avenue.
- St. Mary's Hospital is located at 1230 Baxter Street.
What is the bus schedule for the city of Athens?
Bus schedules for the Athens Transit System can be obtained at the Multi-Modal Center, located on East Broad Street behind the Classic Center. Schedules also can be obtained by calling 706-613-3430 or online at http://www.athenstransit.com/routeinformation.html. For more information, see our transportation page.
Where are the parks located?
Athens-Clarke Leisure Services maintains an impressive number of recreational facilities throughout Athens-Clarke County. Descriptions and maps are available at their website.