Girlfriends Getaway to Athens
Athens, Georgia, makes the perfect girlfriends getaway. Museums, shops, and gardens galore are enjoyable during the day, followed by fun craft breweries, award-winning restaurants, and a world-famous live music scene at night. Grab your best friends, your college roommates, your closest co-workers, your mama and your sisters and plan a girls' getaway to Athens!
Athens is one of Southern Living's recommended girls trips: "This isn't one of those charming but quiet town squares. It's popping. . . . This small town has the cool factor: a walkable downtown, historic music venues, and an impressive restaurant scene. Any group of Southern girls will be in hog heaven."
Here is our itinerary for the perfect girlfriends getaway to Athens:
Your Girls' Getaway Itinerary:
- You've left your job, your family, and your stress behind. You're in Athens with your girlfriends, and happy hour awaits! After checking in to your hotel or BnB, check out happy hour at one of Athens' craft breweries to relax with a fun crowd, plus a tour and tasting. Then, head up to the Georgia Theatre or Hybar rooftop bars for an unbeatable view of the sunset over downtown Athens, or choose the Globe, Seabear, or The Old Pal for a top-notch craft cocktail.
- With no kids to get to bed, and no job to wake up for, your night is just getting started! Athens' live music scene is more varied than ever, with bands playing everything from country to blues to classical to hip hop and of course, rock and roll. Explore Athens' music venues and performance calendars to see what suits your mood!
Overnight in one of Athens' hotels. Find and book your Athens Georgia hotel today!
- Yes, you were out late, but don't miss a chance at a good breakfast for your first morning in Athens. Mama's Boy is a local favorite, with humongous biscuits and plenty of other fun breakfast offerings. Or, for a lighter bite, check out 1000 Faces Coffee for an unforgettable brew and freshly baked goods.
UGA North Campus
- Time to explore! Any UGA alumnae in the crowd? They'll want to reminisce and show off UGA's historic North Campus to the rest of the group, plus grab a photo under the Arch. Then enjoy shaded quads, 'hidden' gardens, and the fountain on Herty Field.
State Botanical Garden of Georgia
- Located on over 300 acres, the State Botanical Garden of Georgia offers more beautiful scenery, plus over five miles of trails to explore. Themed gardens include the Heritage Garden with native plants used throughout Georgia's history and the International Garden with flora from other parts of the world. The soaring tropical conservatory includes more flora and fauna and a cafe.
- .Bonus: the wonderful garden gift shop at the State Botanical Garden is a little-known secret, featuring a wide range of local products!
- Athens has plenty one-of-a-kind shops that are definitely worth stopping by. Your shopping mission starts on Clayton Street, downtown. Wuxtry Records has been around for over 40 years-- vinyl has never been out of style in Athens! For more vintage finds and sustainable fashion, check out Community and Agora Vintage downtown, or broaden your search with more Athens vintage shops and thrift shop finds from our blog.
Bond over Books
- Head to Five Points to one of the nation's best independent bookstores. Avid Bookshop employees will have just the right recommendation for your next must-read or book club selection!
- If there's one thing girlfriends can agree upon, its the powers of world-class chocolate! Athens is home to a bean-to-bar Ecuadorian chocolatier, and it's right next door to Avid Bookshop. Everything at Condor Chocolates is delicious , but may we suggest truffles and the sipping chocolate?
- Dine at Five and Ten, from nationally-acclaimed Athens chef Hugh Acheson. The restaurant is located along S. Milledge Avenue in the Five Points historic district, in a circa-1920 Colonial Revival home.
- Your group may be feeling like something a bit low-key right about now? Take a look at our events calendar for a singer-songwriter night at Hendershots, classical music at the UGA Performing Arts Center, or a Broadway favorite or headliner entertainer at The Classic Center Theatre. Or, just linger over drinks and catching up with your girlfriends at The Globe or The Old Pal.
Return to your hotel. Find and book your Athens Georgia hotel today!
- No girls' getaway is complete without an end-of-trip brunch. Before heading home, indulge in one last amazing meal in Athens.
- Downtown Sunday brunch spots include Last Resort and Big City Bread.
- Or, head a few blocks away to Five Points:
- Butcher & Vine has a great selection of mains, including tartines, plus bloody mary bar and other tempting cocktails.
- The Pine pulls out all the stops with champagne brunch on both Saturdays and Sundays from 11 AM - 3 PM.
- In the Boulevard neighborhood, you can't go wrong with Heirloom.
- What's your style of relaxation?
- Spa time at Urban Sanctuary could be just the ticket. Urban Sanctuary offers everything you need to feel rejuvenated including massages, facials, scrubs, and nail care.
- Or perhaps a stroll through the galleries of the Georgia Museum of Art, the official art museum of the state.
- Head outdoors to the North Oconee River Greenway, including the Firefly Trail.
- If you didn't overindulge in yesterday's shopping exhibition, there's still time to take a piece of Athens home with you. Whether your tastes run towards UGA gear from Clubhouse or Red Zone or the UGA Bookstore, lovely jewelry from Aurum, or yummy treats from Independent Baking Company, Athens will satisfy your craving for something special.