About Visit Athens
Visit Athens is the official destination marketing organization and convention and visitors bureau of Athens-Clarke County, Georgia. The organization is responsible for promoting the Athens community as an attractive travel destination and helping develop the community as a dynamic place to live and to work. Travel's impact on Athens is large, strengthening our local economy, putting people to work, lifting people out of poverty and providing opportunity to start and grow businesses.
Visit Athens promotes our community as a destination for individual visitors, group tours, and meetings and conventions.
The organization is a 501c6 entity and is funded through Athens-Clarke County's hotel-motel tax.
300 N. Thomas St.
Inside The Classic Center
Athens, GA 30601
Tourism WORK$ for Athens:
Visitor dollars make a vital contribution to the well-being of the local Athens community. Visitors keep taxes lower because they help pay for public services used by residents. Visitors generate local jobs, improve the quality of life, and contribute to the betterment of our community.
- Tourism puts 3,076 people to work every day in Athens-Clarke County.
- People who work in jobs supported by tourism earn $73.73 million per year.
- Tourists spend $350.71 million in Athens each year (direct spending, domestic visitors only.)
- $14.51 million in state tax revenues and $9.42 million in local tax revenues were collected annually from visitor spending.
- Each household in Clarke County would need to be taxed an additional $490 per year to replace the state and local taxes generated by direct domestic spending alone.
(Source: Georgia Department of Economic Development Economic Impact Report for 2019.)
Get more information about tourism's contributions to Athens-Clarke County's economy as presented at the 2019 Annual Meeting.
>>Learn more about the economic impact of the meetings & conventions segment of local tourism at The Classic Center's website.