Georgia Bulldogs Football Weekends
From the moment the UGA Bulldogs’ football season begins, Athens transforms into a football lover's paradise. Thousands of die-hard fans decked out in red and black make their way to the city every Saturday to watch the Dawgs do what they do best: win. But the excitement isn’t confined to Sanford Stadium – UGA football weekends are filled with bustling festivities from sunup to sundown (and beyond). These weekends offer the perfect opportunity for visitors to discover everything the Classic City has to offer. Keep reading, and we’ll give you a few pointers on how to make the most of your UGA football weekend.
Athens was named:
- The #2 Greatest College Town in Football by Sports Illustrated ! (Aug. 12, 2019)
- The #3 Best College Football Location by 247Sports! (Aug. 17, 2019)
UGA Home Football Schedule
UGA Football Weekend Itinerary
Looking for things to do in Athens during a home football weekend? Here's our suggested itinerary:
- Welcome to Athens!
- Introduce yourself to the city with a football-themed tour at the UGA Special Collections Libraries.
- Then, venture downtown to get a taste of the city’s rich collection of restaurants, which boasts everything from Mediterranean cuisine to burger joints. If you’re looking for a specific sort of meal, our blog may be able to point you in the right direction.
- Wrap up an exciting night with live music at one of Athens’ internationally renowned venues.
- Be sure to consult our events calendar to find out what else is happening in town.
- Make sure to set your alarm early for an invigorating day spent tailgating with fellow Dawgs fans.
- As game time approaches, squeeze into the Tate Center parking lot – get there early, because it can get packed – to cheer for the Bulldogs during Dawg Walk, when the players enter Sanford Stadium 2 hours and 15 minutes before the game begins. Learn more about the Dawg Walk and other UGA Football Traditions here.
- Suit up for the action with Georgia gear from the UGA bookstore, and then either claim your seats in the stadium or head back downtown or to your tailgate to find a place to watch the Bulldogs.
- Bring an action-packed day to a close by joining other fans in ringing the historic Chapel Bell at UGA’s North Campus to signal another Bulldogs victory.
- Enjoy one final taste of Athens with a cozy Sunday breakfast or brunch.
- Sample the quieter side of Athens with a stop by the Georgia Museum of Art or the State Botanical Garden of Georgia – two of the city’s most popular attractions.
For more ideas, check out our Football Top 5 Things to Do
Football Parking & Hotel Availability
Fun Things to Do on A UGA Football Weekend
More Sports Action
Beyond the Hedges - Things to do in Athens
A trip to Athens is the ultimate Bulldogs fan experience. Make the most of your UGA football weekend by venturing beyond the University of Georgia campus and discovering the expansive variety of things to do in Athens, Georgia.