Things to Do in Athens on a UGA Football Weekend
Athens, Georgia: Home of the 2021 AND 2022 CFP National Champions, the Georgia Bulldogs!
Athens is a city of champions, between and beyond the hedges of Sanford Stadium. Check below for the UGA Football schedule, where to park and tailgate before a UGA football game, things to do in Athens on a football weekend, and more.
UGA Home Football Schedule
UGA Football Weekend in Athens:
- Welcome to Athens!
- Introduce yourself to the city with a football-themed tour at the UGA Special Collections Libraries.
- Then, venture downtown to get a taste of the city’s rich collection of restaurants, which boasts everything from Mediterranean cuisine to burger joints. If you’re looking for a specific sort of meal, our blog may be able to point you in the right direction.
- Wrap up an exciting night with live music at one of Athens’ internationally renowned venues.
- Be sure to consult our events calendar to find out what else is happening in town.
- Make sure to set your alarm early for an invigorating day spent tailgating with fellow Dawgs fans.
- As game time approaches, squeeze into the Tate Center parking lot – get there early, because it can get packed – to cheer for the Bulldogs during Dawg Walk, when the players enter Sanford Stadium 2 hours and 15 minutes before the game begins. Learn more about the Dawg Walk and other UGA Football Traditions.
- Suit up for the action with Georgia gear from the UGA bookstore, and then either claim your seats in the stadium or head back downtown or to your tailgate to find a place to watch the Bulldogs.
- Bring an action-packed day to a close by joining other fans in ringing the historic Chapel Bell at UGA’s North Campus to signal another Bulldogs victory.
- Enjoy one final taste of Athens with a cozy Sunday breakfast or brunch.
- Sample the quieter side of Athens with a stop by the Georgia Museum of Art or the State Botanical Garden of Georgia – two of the city’s most popular attractions.
For more ideas, check out our football top 5 things to do.
Football Parking & Hotel Availability
Fun Things to Do on A UGA Football Weekend
Sanford Stadium Updates - New Gate Entry Information
Part one of the two-phase Sanford Stadium improvement project will be rolled out to visitors at the 2023 home opener. Take a look at the enhancements, and make note of new gate entry locations and changes to Sanford Bridge access. More information is available at www.georgiadogs.com.
More Sports Action
Road Trip! Cities of the SEC
There's nothing like football in the SEC. "It Just Means More," are we right? Check out sights and sounds from our SEC neighbors and get excited for your road trips across the SEC this season. Dawgs travel!