Sandy Creek Park
Sandy Creek Park provides a wide variety of outdoor recreation activities throughout the year. The park is over 1,000 acres, on a beautiful setting surrounding 260-acre Lake Chapman. Admission is $2 per person, ages 4 – 64 (those younger or older are free).
Water Activities at Sandy Creek Park’s Lake Chapman:
Did you know? Athens has a beach! More than 28,000 square feet of sand and more than a half-acre of water designated for wading and swimming make this one of the most popular amenities at Sandy Creek Park. Visitors head to the beach to build sand castles, take in some sun, and of course, to swim. The beach and swimming area are open year-round.
Electric and non-motorized watercraft, such as fishing boats and sailboats are welcome on Lake Chapman and can be put in from the boat ramp. Gasoline motors are strictly prohibited. There are no additional fees to use the boat ramp, but Georgia boating and fishing regulations must be followed.
Put in a line and fish for large-mouth bass, bream, crappie, channel and bullhead catfish. The daily limit for bass is 10 and crappie is 30. (Grass carp have been placed in the lake to help control aquatic vegetation. Please release those carp.) No baskets, trot lines or trapping are allowed. A current Georgia fishing license is required.
Canoe and Kayak
During the summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day), canoe and kayak rentals are available on the weekends. What a great way to explore Lake Chapman and the park, for just $5 per hour.
Land Activities at Sandy Creek Park
Sandy Creek Park offers so many activities for all ages and ability levels, ensuring the entire family will enjoy their day.
- The Disc Golf course has 29 holes and is just $1 per person to play.
- There are over 16 miles of trails, ranging from easy to moderate.
- Horses are welcome on the trails, as well.
- Bring your dog! Sandy Creek Park has one public dog park, plus five private dog parks available to rent for just $1 per dog per hour.
- There are plenty of picnic tables to spread out a meal. There are also pavilions, shelters, and other facilities for larger groups to rent.
- Play a game! Sandy Creek Park has basketball courts plus ballfields that are great for flying kites or set up yard games.
Sandy Creek Park Scenes:
Follow us on Instagram for more!