One Day Athens Itinerary
Have just one day to spend in Athens? So many things to do, and so little time! We’ve compiled a list of local favorites and must-sees for you to use to best prioritize your time in the Classic City. While you're here, you'll want to be sure to sample our heritage, our creative culture, our culinary and brew scene, and our nightlife!
Here's just one tip to get you started: The Lyndon House Arts Center is a 4-in-1 attraction. There's a historic house museum that includes decorative arts, plus an Athens history room exploring the city's past, attached to a modern art gallery, with a gallery shop filled with work for sale from the Athens Artists Guild. Now that's making the most of your time!
We've got more tips and top Athens attractions and things to do lined up for you as well.
This one day itinerary is the best of Athens' traditional heritage and trend-setting southern culture.
University of Georgia's Historic North Campus
- Cross over Broad Street through the iconic Arch and you'll be stepping back in time over two centuries, to the birthplace of public higher education in America. The University of Georgia was chartered in 1789 and the Historic North Campus was modeled after Yale. Magnificent Greek Revival buildings date back to the start of classes in the first decade of the 19th century. Take a self-guided walking tour here, which includes the UGA Chapel, the Chapel Bell, and Herty Field and Fountain.
UGA Special Collections
- Georgia's history comes to life at the University of Georgia's Special Collections building. Historic and cultural treasures are on display, including interactive exhibits, Georgia artifacts, even a full-sized replica of Senator Richard B. Russell's Washington office. Audiovisual displays include the Peabody Award collection of excellence in broadcast media, and vintage town films.
Lyndon House Arts Center & Ware-Lyndon House
- Be sure to take time to pop into all the cool shops along Clayton Street. You can browse through vinyl and music memorabilia at Wuxtry Records or Low Yo Yo Stuff and the hippest vintage stores ever, like Atomic Athens, Dynamite, and Agora Vintage. Plus there are plenty of other independently-owned shops, such as Community displaying items from local makers
- Athens' craft beer scene is growing rapidly and there's enough happening at local breweries to keep a craft beer lover happy for a few days all on their own. With just one day, pick any one local Athens craft brewery to explore, taste, and tour:
- Just one more meal of the day, so you'd better make it a good one! Foodies will of course have heard of Athens' two-time James Beard Award winner, Hugh Acheson of Five & Ten. Grab a reservation and you can say you've dined where it all began. Five & Ten is upscale, but not stuffy. Still, for something a bit more casual, check out the Last Resort Grill, or choose a table with a view at the Georgia Theatre Rooftop, or The Place, whose second floor overlooks UGA's Historic North Campus.
Evening- Late Night
- Athens is world-renowned for its music, and the live music scene today is bigger and more diverse than ever. On almost any night of the week, you'll find bands playing everything from rock to Americana to blues to hip hop. Pick a performer and a venue from our live music listings, or plan to club hop to a few; small cover charges make that totally do-able!
Return to your hotel. Find and book your Athens Georgia hotel today!