Relocation and Retirement
Athens consistently ranks as among the nation's best places to live, making it a top spot for relocation and retirement. New residents are drawn to Athens by its moderate climate; convenience to Atlanta; median housing cost; top hospitals and medical care; plus the culture, opportunity, and excitement a college town provides.
National media attention for Athens as a Best Place to Live and to Retire includes:
- "Best Places To Retire In 2022" Forbes, May 2022
- "Top 100 Best Places to Live," (#32 nationally, #1 in Georgia) Livability, October 2020
- "The Best Places to Retire are all College Towns," GoBankingRates.com, August 6, 2020
- #1, "Best Music Cities to Live in," CubeSmart.com, August 2019
- "Great Places to Follow Your Passions in Retirement," Forbes, August 27, 2019
The Athens Area Newcomers Club meets the second Thursday of each month from September through May. Club meetings and numerous activities promote friendships and ties to the community. For more information, please call 706.769.7401.