1. This weekend is actually getting started on Thursday as the 1st Annual Athens Pride Weekend kicks off at the UGA Founders Memorial Garden! This celebration has grown from a Sunday picnic into a weekend full of amazing and fun events. On Friday, Farm 255 will be hosting a Dragaoke night from 11:30 p.m. to 2 a.m.. From 1 - 5 p.m. on Saturday, the Georgia Safe Schools Coalition will be hosting a beer bust at the Little Kings Shuffle Club, and this will be followed by Dancing thru the Decades at New Earth Music Hall from 6 - 10 p.m.. The event will come to a close on Sunday with a service at Our Hope Metropolitan Community Church from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; there will also be a Cookout and Celebration of Commitment at Lake Harris from 2 - 6 p.m. followed by Drag in the Rink from 8-11 p.m. at Skate Around USA. Find some time off and take part in this wonderful new Athens celebration!
2. Calling all film fanatics! The 8th Annual Dixie Film Festival is taking place this weekend from noon - midnight on Saturday and from 1 p.m. - midnight on Sunday at the Morton Theatre. This international film festival does highlight Georgia filmmakers and local talent in their special Mason-Dixie screenings. The films will be competing for the following awards: Best Feature Film, Best Short Film, Peach Fuzz Award, Best Comedy, Best Animation, Best Documentary, Best Foreign, Best Screenplay, and the Mason-Dixie Award. If you only want to watch a few films, admission is $10 per 2 hour screening; however, if you would like to fully partake in this event, there is a $35 all-festival pass. You can purchase your tickets at the door or online -- go and support your local filmmakers!
- Feeling like you belong in the wrong decade? Head over to The Melting Point this Friday at 9 p.m. for the Totally '80s party with the Highballs! Bring your legwarmers and hairspray and get ready to dance the night away to covers of some of the greats - Madonna, Duran Duran, Journey, and more! General admission is $10, and doors open at 6 p.m. for dinner and drinks.
- If you're disappointed that you can't tailgate in Athens this Saturday, then make sure you head out to the Terrapin Brewery for its 2nd Annual Hop Harvest Festival. From 4:30 to 8:30 p.m., you can enjoy educational speakers, delicious food, as well as the harvesting of Terrapin's hop garden. And don't worry, the brewery will be featuring 12 casks of ale showcasing their different varieties of hops!
- Looking for a family-friendly event? The 27th Annual North Georgia Folk Festival will be held this Saturday from noon - 8 p.m. at the Sandy Creek Park. There will be traditional folk music as well as craft demonstrations and sales. The kids will love playing with the arts and crafts and animals!