Check out the usual suspects of art, live music, and entertainment throughout the Classic City this weekend.
- Looking for a new form of fun this weekend? Check out Effie's Club Follies at the 40 Watt. This local "slap-strip comedic burlesque" troupe combines the best elements of sketch comedy, musical theatre, drag and striptease. The show starts at 10 p.m. & tickets are $10 for the 21 & over set, $12 for 18+.
- The Michael Guthrie Band will be performing at the Melting Point at 9 p.m. For nearly 40 years, Athenian Michael Guthrie and his various bandmates have delved into the world of melodic, jangly British-sounding throwback rock. The latest incarnation is a family affair with brother Herb and son Jon. Tickets are $5 in advance, $7 at the door.
- Check out a large lineup at the new Tasty World Uptown this Friday. Against All Odds, Heroes for Tonight, Leaving Araby, Lost Heritage, Shootout the Stars, and The Wristbandits will all grace the new stage. Tickets are $5.
- Taste Your PLACE Kickoff at the Athens Farmers' Market. 8 a.m.-12 p.m. To learn more, checkout this week's freebie.
- With football season so close yet so far, get your dawg fix at the Classic Center with the Dawg Derby Flyball Tournament. This year's tournament features 64 teams of dogs and handlers from 10 states competing in a fast-paced relay race that involves sprinting, jumping and retrieving. 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Tickets are $1.
- Want to see how UGA's gardens grow? The Gardens at UGA Open House runs from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Guided tour led by the founder of UGA's Trial Gardens, which are nationally known for trialing annuals and perennials for the Southeast. $5.
- Swing by Caledonia Lounge to hear The Buddy System's final show. Check out the adorable projected animation of Lauren Gregg's illustrations to go along with the gently grooving indie-pop tunes delivered by Kindercore stalwarts in their last performance. Also featuring Allison Weiss, Attractive Eighties Women, and ExcaliBrah. 10 p.m. $5.
- Enjoy a lazy Sunday at Memorial Park with a free community picnic. Featuring music, yard games, face painting, ice cream, performances and more. Bring a blanket and picnic basket. 5 p.m.
- Square One Restaurant and Bar's weekly Sunday Jazz Brunch features rotating local jazz artists out on their patio. Enjoy it before the heat index goes back up! 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
- Exercise your brain and gear up for the work week with sports-themed trivia at Allen's Bar & Grill. 9 p.m.