Friday, February 26:
- History comes alive at the State Botanical Garden this Friday. You will have the opportunity to meet John Bartram, America's first botanist and horticulturist- John Bartram Lives! Okay, so it is actually Pennsylvanian Kirk R. Brown. Enjoy this first-person biographical and historical presentation on the life of John Bartram. Prepare to be entertained, amused and educated as history comes alive! Attendees will have the opportunity to meet John Bartram at a reception from 6:30-7:30pm. The program will follow. $10 for members, $15 for non-members.
- This Friday is your last chance to see the "Not Since You" movie premiere and screening at Beechwood Cinemas on Alps, and you do not want to miss out. This film was shot in large part in Athens and potrays Athens as itself! It is a film about a tight-knit group of college friends who graduated from NYU just prior to 9/11 and reunite years later for a weekend wedding in Georgia. Unresolved conflicts and love affairs spark again.
- America's most successful black stage play, "Beauty Shop," comes to the Classic Center Theatre this Saturday! This production served as inspiration for the recent film "Beauty Shop," starring Queen Latifah. The story continues as the curling irons get hotter, the gossip is juicier, the backstabbing is deeper, and the he-said/she-said tipping the scales. Get ready to fall out of your seat, because you'll be rolling in the aisles with mascara-running laughter.
Sunday, February 28:
- The UGA Performing Arts Center is proud to present "Coppelia," a charming and comic ballet performance by the Moscow Festival Ballet! Their tours throughout the world have presented many of ballet's greatest works featuring the highest artistic elements within the framework of Russian classic ballet. Enjoy lush melodies, beautiful costumes, and stunning virtuostic and athletic dancing.
- Over 20 of northeast Georgia's premium wedding vendors will be on hand at the Foundry Park Inn & Spa Bridal Open House! Vendors will include photographers, florists, formal wear, wedding panners, pastry chefs, entertainment, transportation companies and more! Sample the cuisine of our award winning culinary team while persuing the latest bridal fashions for the entire wedding party.
- It is the last weekend to enjoy the stunning works of Amy Jenkins at ATHICA! "Nurture: Video and Photography by Amy Jenkins" features works from her "Cradle Series" in which the artist films herself and members of her family in order to reveal salient aspects of familial relationships. Great for families and art lovers alike!
- There are only 10 seats left for the unique African-American History Tour this Saturday! Enjoy a special 2-hour bus tour with stops including the Gospel Pilgrim Cemetery and the Morton Theatre. Call 706.353.1820 for more details or visit the Athens Welcome Center Web site.
- In these tough economic times, sales are greatly appreciated! The 26th Annual Athens-Clarke County Library Book Sale features thousands of books including fiction, non-fiction, children's books, hardbacks, paperbacks, audio books, CDs and more. All proceeds from the Book Sale benefit the Athens-Clarke County Library.
- Considering remodeling your home, landscaping your yard or even building or buying your dream home? Stop by the 15th Annual Home and Garden Show at The Classic Center on Saturday and Sunday to get your questions answered on topics such as decor, landscaping, lighting and more!