1. From Friday through Sunday, the Canopy Studio Company will be presenting their Fall Aerial Show "What Flies Beneath". This family-friendly show will feature zip lines, bungees, flying cubes, circus poles, straps, tight-wire, Spanish web, and more! The show will be at Canopy Studio at 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and at 6 p.m. on Sunday. Matinees will be 4 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are available online or thirty minutes prior to showtime. Watch the preview video here to get a little sneak peek of what you can expect!
2. Are you a fan of jazz or bluegrass? Then make sure to go see the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and the Del McCoury Band perform at the Hodgson Concert Hall at the University of Georgia Performing Arts Center this Saturday at 8 p.m.! These two legendary bands have between them such achievements as performing for royalty all around the world as well as winning a Grammy for Best Bluegrass album. Get your tickets today, and look forward to a night of authentic and uniquely American music; this will definitely be an unforgettable experience!
3. Calling all runners -- have you registered to participate in the 2nd Annual AthFest Half Marathon yet? Make sure to sign up because this run benefits AthFest, a non-profit organization in Athens, Ga., that supports arts and music education. While you run for this great cause on Sunday morning at 7 a.m., you can enjoy the beautiful scenery Athens has to offer; the run goes through several historic areas, by Sanford Stadium, and along the Oconee River Greenway. Also, don't miss out on the Health and Fitness Expo which will be held Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Holiday Inn Express. You can register at the Expo on Saturday. Participants will receive a t-shirt and those who pick up their packet early gain access to some neat giveaways and sales.
If none of those fit in your schedule or will bring you out of your gloomy weather funk, take a look at the following events.
- Bring your family out on Friday night for Family Campfire and Storytelling at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia. The event runs from 6-8 p.m. and is limited to 40 participants, so register now! You will learn to build a fire, hear fun tales, and, best of all, enjoy that lovely treat known to all as S'mores!
- If you enjoy the art of dance, don't miss out on DanceAthens 2011's 11th Annual Dance Concert on Saturday. Many regional dance companies will come together for a night celebrating dance in Athens. It will take place at the Morton Theatre at 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Purchase your tickets soon!
- Check out the beauty of the North Oconee River during this Sunday's Athens Heritage Walk. However, you won't just be walking on this tour -- a portion of the tour takes place on a canoe! The tour will begin at 1 p.m.; get your tickets quickly before the tour hits its capacity (only 14 people!).
Any of these events will be a good start to a great weekend. Here's hoping for fair weather, so you can enjoy a variety of events, whether they be indoors or outdoors!