- 232 W. Hancock Ave., Athens, GA 30601
The idea behind The National is simple: to provide a casual neighborhood gathering spot reminiscent of Eurpoean restaurants. Mediterranean inspired food and wine is served for lunch and dinner in the dining room and throughout the day at the bar. The menu points to culinary traditions from abroad, as well as close relations with local farmers to produce dishes that reflect the changing seasons in Northeast Georgia. Gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian options are readily available.
Dec. 2020 Update: The National is installing infrared heaters to keep you cozy, expanding awning coverage for shade and weather protection, and adding designer lighting to create that perfect atmosphere for your meal. Additionally, the dining room will become more "open air" with the retraction of the beautiful big windows that harken back to the building's days as a Plymouth car dealership. These showcase windows will slide wide open to increase airflow and bring to Athens a unique indoor-outdoor experience for dine-in.
Reservations are available through Resy.
The National is a venture by Executive Chef Peter Dale (owner of Seabear Oyster Bar and Condor Chocolates) and Hugh Acheson (owner of the acclaimed Five & Ten, Empire State South, and Achie's).
- Silver Spoon Award (top 10 restaurants in Georgia), Georgia Trend, November 2018
- "Where to find a good cocktail in every SEC town," Garden and Gun, fall 2018
- In 2016, Chef de Cuisine Jeremy Collins was awarded 2nd place in the "Georgia's Best Shrimp and Grits" competition at the Jekyll Island Shrimp and Grits festival presented by Southern Living.
- The National was given a 2014 Silver Spoon Award by Georgia Trend magazine as one of the top ten restaurants in the state of Georgia.
- In 2012, Dale was named Food & Wine magazine’s The People’s Best New Chef Southeast.
- That same year, Dale was also honored as a Rising Star Chef.
- "100 Plates Locals Love," 2019 ExploreGeorgia.org, Vegetable Plate,
NEW YORK TIMES REVIEW
This restaurant has also been recommended by Daily Candy, Atlanta.
Additional Property Information
Credit Cards Accepted:
- American Express
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Catering Services:
- Full Bar:
- Handicap Accessible:
- Private/Group Dining:
- Reservations Accepted:
- To Go:
- Online Orders Available:
- Curbside Pick Up Available:
- Limit per table: 6
- Total capacity: 50
- Group Dining Reservation Capacity: 50
- LGBTQ+ Welcoming:
- Description We offer catered private events in CineLab, the arthouse cinema that shares our building. The customizable space can host a seated dinner for up to 65. We offer restaurant buy-outs on a limited basis, typically only on Sundays. We try to accommodate large groups in the dining room as best we can. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about availability and pricing.