- 232 W. Hancock Ave.|
- Athens GA 30601
- Region: Downtown
The idea behind The National is simple: to provide a casual neighborhood gathering spot reminiscent of Eurpoean restaurants. Mediterranean inspired food and wine is served for lunch and dinner in the dining room and throughout the day at the bar. The menu points to culinary traditions from abroad, as well as close relations with local farmers to produce dishes that reflect the changing seasons in Northeast Georgia. Gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian options are readily available.
The National is a venture by Executive Chef Peter Dale (owner of Seabear Oyster Bar and Condor Chocolates) and Hugh Acheson (owner of the acclaimed Five & Ten, Empire State South, and Achie's).
- Silver Spoon Award (top 10 restaurants in Georgia), Georgia Trend, November 2018
- "Where to find a good cocktail in every SEC town," Garden and Gun, fall 2018
- In 2016, Chef de Cuisine Jeremy Collins was awarded 2nd place in the "Georgia's Best Shrimp and Grits" competition at the Jekyll Island Shrimp and Grits festival presented by Southern Living.
- The National was given a 2014 Silver Spoon Award by Georgia Trend magazine as one of the top ten restaurants in the state of Georgia.
- In 2012, Dale was named Food & Wine magazine’s The People’s Best New Chef Southeast.
- That same year, Dale was also honored as a Rising Star Chef.
- "100 Plates Locals Love," 2019 ExploreGeorgia.org, Vegetable Plate,
NEW YORK TIMES REVIEW
This restaurant has also been recommended by Daily Candy, Atlanta.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Monday - Saturday.
Dinner: 5 - 10 p.m. Monday - Thursday, 5 - until Friday-Saturday.
11:30 a.m. - 12 midnight Monday - Thursday
11:30 a.m. - until Friday-Saturday.
- Private/Group Dining:
- Full Bar:
- Reservations Accepted:
- Handicap Accessible:
- Catering Services:
Additional Property Information
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
Credit Cards Accepted:
- American Express
- Handicap Accessible:
- Description We offer catered private events in CineLab, the arthouse cinema that shares our building. The customizable space can host a seated dinner for up to 65. We offer restaurant buy-outs on a limited basis, typically only on Sundays. We try to accommodate large groups in the dining room as best we can. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about availability and pricing.
- Largest Room