Friday, April 30:
- Tasty World will host the AthFest CD Release Show this Friday night! The CDs will be available at the show for a special price before the official release date of May 4, 2010. The CD includes 16 diverse tracks of high energy rock, quirky pop, soulful Americana, jam rock and more, representing a fine cross-section of the Athens music scene. A full track listing can be found at AthFest.com.
- If you've never seen a blues lady who can play her guitar behind her head, belt out songs, and roll over to sweet gospel, you've never been in the house when Beverly 'Guitar' Watkins was on stage.This event is in conjunction with the Hot Corner Association's 10th annual street festival full of fun, food, music. Attendees will enjoy a free wine tasting gathering prior to the show at 6:30 pm.
Saturday, May 1:
- It's open house at Bear Hollow Wildlife Park! Zoo Day features animals not normally housed at the zoo, plus displays, demonstrations and educational sessions. Come meet the newest Bear Hollow residents, two orphaned bear cubs rescued by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources! There will also be presentations by local experts on topics including Georgia wildlife and birds of prey.
- Join the Athens Symphony for music, juleps and roses at their Kentucky Derby-themed fundraiser. A Kentucky Derby Event is a derby-style celebration with food and beverages, win-place-show cash raffle, wide screen TVs for race viewing, entertainment, cash bar and ladies Derby hat contest. Proceeds benefit the Athens Symphony.
Sunday, May 2:
- Join us for an afternoon of cooking and fun! Prepare your own decadent chocolate dessert along with Foundry Park Inn and Spa executive chef Martin Smetana. Something to taste, something to share. Raffle drawing for prizes during the event. Cooking for the Cottage is a fundraiser for the Cottage, a sexual assault center and children's advocacy center.
- Enjoy the harmonies of Arioso, a 12-member a capella singing group, as they sing King's Singers arrangements ranging from the Lennon/McCartney hit "Blackbird" to Billy Joel's "Goodnight, My Angel" and "You Are the New Day." The Friends of the Athens-Clarke County Library will conduct a brief business meeting before the concert, and light refreshments will be served following the show.
- Professional golf returns to Athens! The Stadion Athens Classic at UGA, known in the previous four years as the Athens Regional Foundation Classic, is this weekend at the UGA golf course. It is the only event on the Nationwide Tour that is owned and operated by an institution of higher education. Former UGA All-American and three-time Ryder Cup participant Chip Beck will serve as the honorary chair.
- The 32nd Annual Athens Human Rights Festival brings together political activists, musicians and artists in a call for action on human rights issues. It is, as well, a celebration of advances in the area of human rights. Featured bands include American Cheeseburger, Kite to the Moon, Abbey Road LIVE! and more. There will also be numerous speakers from TOMS, Habitat for Humanity, Green Party Athens and more.
- Looking for a weekend of music, art, kids' entertainment and soul food? Head over to Morton Theatre to commemorate the history and heritage of the African-American community in Athens! Hot Corner Celebration and Soul Food Feast will include Hot Corner Blues, Soul Food Feast and Family Vaudeville Night.
- Canopy Studio Repertory Company presented Fractured Fairytales, a twist on classic fairy tales as told through aerial dance on the trapeze, fabrics, bungee and invented equipment. All music written specifically for this show by Sam Fogarino of the band Interpol. This kid-friendly show will sound and look amazing!
For a full calendar of exciting events happening this weekend, click here.