Athens, Georgia, has plenty of things to do and to experience during Black History Month. Each year, we look forward to celebrating and honoring African-American heritage and the numerous contributions Black Athenians have made to our community.
Did you know?
- The Morton Theatre is one of the few remaining vaudeville theatres built, owned and operated by a Black man, Pink Morton?
- The Morton Theatre housed Georgia's first black female dentist, and a black pharmacy?
- Pink Morton is among many distinguished Black Athenians buried at Gospel Pilgrim Cemetery?
- Learn more about Black Heritage in Athens
- Don't miss the Athens African American Heritage Pathway
In addition to special events and exhibits, we invite you to take this opportunity to go on a self-guided tour of African-American Heritage in Athens to visit many of the important sites. So, make plans now to make the most of Black History Month in Athens, Georgia!