Reunion Planners FAQ
Contact Us! 706-357-4430 or toll free 800-653-0603
Request a Destination Planning Guide
Q: How can the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau help me with planning my reunion?
A: 6-12 months before the reunion, research and plan:
- Review our list of facilities for ideas of both traditional and unconventional venues. If you have questions, we will be happy to guide you about the best fit for your needs and help you to make the appropriate contacts.
- Advance bookings of hotels can be secured during this period of time. Contact the CVB for assistance (and see below for details.)
- Shuttle services and transportation needs should also be reserved well in advance; transportation options are listed here.
- Talk to CVB staff about ideas you have for custom tours or activities. We know Athens, and we know reunions! Let us make recommendations for your group to make your reunion a success.
Two to four weeks before the reunion, get the details in order:
Contact the CVB to request free Athens travel literature to provide to your out of town guests. Examples include:
- Athens Visitors Guide
- Flagpole Guide to Athens
- Local Maps, regional brochures, etc.
Please allow three to five business days to full fill the request
Check out the CVB online calendar of events.
- You can enter the dates your guests will be in town for your reunion.
- Then, click on the printer-friendly button for a list of events to send to your family and friends or post on your reunion website. You'll want to share news about hip and happening cultural events taking place in town during your event!
Q: What is the process for working with the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau to secure hotel block bookings?
A: First, contact the CVB and be prepared to share the following information:
- What is the date and location of the ceremony and reception/reunion?
- How many guests do you expect?
- How many of those do you estimate will need to hotel rooms? For how many nights?
- Do you have a preference about hotels in Athens?
- Do you have any special requests (such as a hospitality suite)?
- The CVB will contact the hotels of your choice to inquire about availability and rates then get in touch with you to communicate what we have learned.
- You will consult the summary of responses from hotels with the group and your families to determine your preferences based on rates and availability.
- Please get back in touch with the CVB to let us know what you have decided.
Q: How does the contract process with Athens hotels work?
A: The CVB will put you in touch with the respective sales manager(s) for the hotel or hotels that you have chosen. we will step aside at this point. Here's what will happen next:
- The hotel(s) will contact you to ensure that they have all necessary details and contact information regarding the event. You will need to provide a credit card to secure the rooms but *you are not responsible for the booking of the rooms.*
- You will finalize your requests regarding room types and the exact number needed.
- You will establish a cut-off date; after that date, neither the rate nor the availability can be guaranteed. *Be sure to communicate both the hotel name(s) and the cut-off date to your guests.*