Relocation and Retirement
Athens consistently ranks as among the nation's best towns for relocation and retirement. New residents are drawn to Athens by its moderate climate; convenience to Atlanta; median housing cost; top hospitals and medical care; plus the culture, opportunity, and the culture and excitement a college town provides.
National media attention for Athens as a Best Place to Retire includes:
- "25 Best Places to Retire in 2018" (fourth consecutive year) Forbes, city profile and article
- “8 Tax-Friendly Cities,” Where to Retire magazine, January 2018
- "Best Places to Retire in 2017" - Forbes
- "2017's List of Best Places to Retire" - AARP
- "Best Places to Retire in 2016" - Forbes
- "Best Places to Retire in 2015" - Forbes
- "Best Places to Retire" - MONEY magazine
- "Best Place to Recapture Your Youth" - FORTUNE magazine
- #1 Small Metro Area for Relocating Families" - Primacy Relocation
- "Seven Cool Cities" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance
The Athens Area Newcomers Club meets the second Thursday of each month from September through May. Club meetings and numerous activities promote friendships and ties to the community. For more information, please call 706.769.7401.