As we get closer to the weekend, I personally am anticipating many fun things to do in Athens, GA. The skies have cleared and there are really great outdoor offerings coming up that will give you, your friends, and family the perfect opportunity to begin enjoying the cooler autumn weather. So grab your fall coats and start planning your weekend schedule!
1. Have you gotten your tickets to the 7th Annual Athens Popfest
yet? This event is a four-day music festival featuring around 70 rock and pop bands both from the U.S.and overseas. All the events are held at either 40 Watt
, Caledonia Lounge
, or the Classic Center
, and all events are open to all-ages! The festival goes from Oct. 11-15 and you can purchase full festival passes or individual tickets to the shows. This is definitely something to check out for all music-lovers! Make sure to check the show lineup on the Popfest website
to see what bands are playing, and when and where they will be performing. This is a great way to enjoy a weekend full of music as well as support the arts. The non-profit Athens Popfest Foundation grants scholarships to a number of Athens high school graduates who intend to pursue a degree in visual or performing arts.
2. Habitat for Humanity is holding its 4th Annual Jittery Joe's Fall Classic Century and Fall Festival
. This bicycle race and Fall Festival will be held at Terrapin Brewery
on Saturday starting at 10 am. All cyclists 21 and over will receive a t-shirt, special edition Terrapin pint glass, as well as a Terrapin tour; all younger participants will receive a t-shirt and water bottle. The race will begin and end at Terrapin and will circle around Clarke County. For the non-cyclists, the Fall Festival will have music, food, games, and a lot of fun! If you haven't registered for the race yet, and you want to participate, don't worry -- event day registration is available. Make sure to check out this event and spread awareness of the effort to achieve community home-ownership!
3. Don't miss out on this Sunday's Athens Heritage Walk: Downtown Athens
. Hal Cofer and Jones Drury will take you through 40 years of the heart and soul of Athens, and you'll be able to get a little taste of how it was like when Broad Street attracted the farmers coming into town to buy their needed goods and the city folk headed over to Clayton Street to shop at the many clothing and department stores. Downtown Athens has changed quite a bit with urban renewal and the growth of the University, and this is a great way to learn of its interesting history! Make sure to book your tickets in advance. The tour begins at 2:00 p.m.
If these don't match up with your weekend schedule, try looking at some of the following events!
- Bring your family to the Southeast Clarke Park on Friday night to enjoy the Family Movie Under the Stars. The movie will be Rio, starting at 7:00 p.m. but the fun begins at 5 :00 p.m. with games and music. A concessions stand will be available with great movie snacks available for purchase, but other than that, this event is free! So bring your lawn chairs and your blankets and enjoy some fun family time.
- The Timothy Road Elementary Roadrunner Rally 5k and 1 Mile Fun Run is this Saturday! The race begins at 8:00 a.m., and there will be a free pancake breakfast provided for all registered runners. Hurry and register, and start stretching those legs - awards will be given out for different categories!
- Love Shakespeare? Ever wondered what a play incorporating all his works would be like? Then you should not miss out on The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) this Sunday at 7:30 p.m. at Quinn Hall at Memorial Park. The Circle Ensemble will be compressing all 37 plays by the famous playwright into less than two hours of hilarity that will be full of fun and laughter! Get your tickets now!
Find anything of interest? If not, what are you planning on doing this weekend in Athens, GA?