A Timetable for Planning your Reunion in Athens, Georgia
12-18 Months Prior
A great first step is calling the Athens Convention and Visitors Bureau to talk with one of our staff members about your ideas and get some tips on where to start: 800.653.0603
- Make a list of family members, classmates, or attendees
- For larger reunions, form committees and establish responsibilities and schedules
- Set date and length of reunion and budget for the event
- Call the Athens CVB to get assistance finding venues and facilities; schedule site visits if needed
- Consider and hire any vendors you may need for your event: caterers, photographers, videographers, entertainers, transportation
- Send out a mailing to save the date with a tentative schedule; consider including a survey for attendees to gauge interest in a selection of activities
- Sign contracts with venues to secure space for your reunion
Six to Twelve Months Prior
Now is the time to make hotel room block reservations. The Athens CVB can assist with this duty--see the Reunion FAQ for more information on how hotel room block reservations work.
- Send a mailing out to reunion attendees, outlining registration costs and schedule; include information about where and when they need to call to reserve their hotel rooms
- Confirm reservations and contracts with vendors
- Talk with staff at venues to have your questions answered and make sure the facilities meet your needs
- Assemble a memory book or directory if you want to have one at your event
Two Weeks to Two Months Prior
As you get closer to the event, the details come into focus. You may want recommendations from the CVB for local T-shirt vendors or other souvenirs, and you can request welcome bags (complimentary from the CVB) with brochures that may be of interest to your group.
- Write a checklist for final tasks and divide up duties among volunteers
- Call the CVB to request welcome packets and brochures to hand out to reunion guests and coordinate a pickup time to get them
- Check out the CVB online calendar of events for special happenings taking place during your reunion. Send to family and friends and post on your event website
- Reconfirm all accommodations and bookings with hotels, venues and vendors
Contact the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau for more assistance with your reunion planning, 706.357.4430, toll free 800.653.0603.