Jackson Street Cemetery - Old Athens Cemetery
- 350 S. Jackson St., Athens, GA 30602
The cemetery, on Jackson Street on the University of Georgia's North Campus, was used primarily between 1810 and 1856. When this 2.5 acre site was full Oconee Hill Cemetery (located behind Sanford Stadium) opened. There are approximately 800 graves, including those for merchants, tailors, ministers, children of UGA faculty members, and two UGA presidents, Robert Finley and Moses Waddel. Other individuals buried beneath adjacent land include men, women and children of African descent, presumably slaves or former slaves. Others were of European and Asian descent. The cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in October, 2009.
Athens - Layers of Time is a story map compiled by University of Georgia researchers as a portal to highlight and provide scholarly resources to support studies involving the Old Athens Cemetery, the Oconee Hill Cemetery, and the use of geographic space through time in Athens, Georgia. The multiple maps, images and documents compiled by this project help visualize and understand the growth of the City of Athens, the UGA campus and surrounding living and working environment of the people.