Oconee Rivers Greenway
- ., Athens, GA 30601
The Oconee Rivers Greenway is a linear park system that provides wildlife corridors, a wetland hiking trail, and a family friendly multi-use path for the public's enjoyment. Currently, the Oconee Rivers Greenway System provides 5.1 miles of natural surface hiking only trails and 8 miles of concrete, multi-use trails that are designated for non-motorized use.
- North Oconee River Trail - This trail winds its way along the North Oconee River from Sandy Creek Nature Center to Bailey St and Carriage Lane. Along the way you will see views of the North Oconee River, North Oconee River Park, Aguar Plaza, and Dudley Park.
This multi-use paved trail is available for use by pedestrians, bicyclists, and any non-motorized modes of transportation.
- East Campus Connector - This trail is a concrete, multi-use trail that connects the Oconee St Park and Ride Parking Lot near the Loop 10 interchange with the North Oconee River Trail and the UGA campus. It is available for use by pedestrians, bicyclists, and any non-motorized modes of transportation.
- Cook's Trail (closed indefinitely due to flooding) - Cook's Trail s a 4.1 mile natural surface trail that runs between Sandy Creek Nature Center and Sandy Creek Park. Please be aware that the trail does not loop and may flood during periods of heavy rain. Cook's Trail is open to foot traffic only. Trail heads are located at Sandy Creek Nature Center and Sandy Creek Park. As you hike on Cook's Trail, you will traverse an extensive swap via winding boardwalks and multiple bridges. While enjoying the scenery, you can take the 1 mile Oxbow Loop trail. This trail follows the edge of a lovely oxbow lake and presents many opportunities for viewing the wildlife that is unique to this habitat.
- Trail Creek Trail - This is a paved multi-use path within Virginia Walker Park, that is approximately one-mile in length and provides opportunities to experience nature in a variety of ways while linking parks, neighborhoods, and points of interest such as a Civil War gun emplacement site. It is available for use by pedestrians, bicyclists, and any non-motorized modes of transportation.
- Pulaski Heights Trail - This is a paved multi-use path, is ¼-mile in length and follows Moore's Branch, a creek draining from Downtown to the North Oconee River. The trail connects from Pulaski Street near the Leathers Building to the intersection of Hull and Hoyt Streets. It is available for use by pedestrians and any non-motorized modes of transportation, including bicycles. The trail passes through the site of a former rail yard once used by the Southern Railway. The Southern Railway's historic depot is currently occupied by the Athens Community Council on Aging, a partner in the project.
- Milledge Extension Trail - Milledge Extension Trail is a 1/4 mile paved multi-use trail that connects Milledge Avenue Extension with South Milledge Avenue. There is a UGA bus stop at the north end of the trail. Per the 2016 Greenway Network Plan, this trail will eventually extend down Macon Highway with a street based connection. It is available for use by pedestrians, bicyclists, and any non-motorized modes of transportation.
Don't miss over 50 interpretive panels along the half-mile Heritage Trail from Dudley Park to Wilkerson Street. The panels illustrate Athens' rich history. Learn about the North Oconee River, the town that grew up along it, the industry it supported, and the people who depended on it. Parking, picnic, and recreational areas are located along the Greenway.
|Trailhead||Address||Closest Trail Segment||Parking||Restrooms|
|Bailey Street Trailhead
||439 Bailey St||North Oconee River Trail||NO||NO|
|Carriage Lane Trailhead||101 Carriage Lane||North Oconee River Trail||NO||NO
|Dudley Park Trailheads||1170 E. Broad St or
286 S. Poplar St
|North Oconee River Trail||YES||NO
|Easley's Mill Trailhead||470 Oconee St||North Oconee River Trail||YES||NO
|College Avenue Trailhead||1003 MLK Jr. Parkway||North Oconee River Trail||YES||NO
|Oconee St. Park and Ride Trailhead||Lexington Rd at Loop 10||East Campus Connector||YES||NO
|Sandy Creek Nature Center Trailhead||215 Old Commerce Rd||Cook's Trail (closed indefinitely)
& North Oconee River Trail
|Sandy Creek Park Trailhead||400 Bob Holman Rd
||Cook's Trail (closed indefinitely)||YES||YES|
|Walker Park Trailhead||200 Trail Creek St||Trail Creek Trail||YES||YES
|Pulaski Heights Trailhead||135 Hoyt Street||Pulaski Heights Trail||YES||NO
|Milledge Extension Trailhead||1760 Milledge Ave. Ext||Milledge Extension Trail
- Picnic Tables: