Athens has become known for its food scene, particularly our small, local restaurants. These small businesses are touchstones of our community and give our neighborhoods their flavor, both figuratively and literally. While dining rooms are shuttered during the coronavirus epidemic, don't forget that most Athens restaurants ARE still providing delivery and/or takeout. They need customers more than ever, and let's admit it, you're tired of your own cooking by now, anyway.
Here is a roundup of ideas, and links, for how to #SupportAthensOwn restaurants during the coronavirus.
Order Take Out or Delivery
Give your favorite Athens restaurant a ring- they will be more than happy to get some food for your belly. More Athens restaurants are adding these options every day, even upscale spots who haven't typically been in the to-go or delivery business (we're saluting you, The National and home.made!) Birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions go on despite coronavirus restrictions, and they can suck a little less with a special meal.
Local Athens delivery services include:
Our Athens restaurants are working hard to stay open for as long as they possibly can, so do visit our restaurant page, pick what you're in the mood for, and call them-- it's all but certain they have delivery or to go options. A few other local resources are tracking restaurant updates, including:
- Eat & Drink Athens GA
- Athens local takeout, delivery, online ordering Google Sheet
- Flagpole's Grub Notes
Online Treats & Merch
How about you folks who love Athens flavors but aren't locals? We've got you covered, too. There are plenty of tastes and treats you can order online and have shipped right to your doorstep (thank that delivery person, at a distance!)
- Jittery Joe's is providing free shipping with two or more coffees to help you stay caffeinated at home (use code JITTERYJOESLOVESYOU at checkout). Jittery Joe's has great swag, too.
- 1000 Faces Coffee is offering free shipping on all orders of over $20.
- Next to caffeine (and toilet paper), chocolate is essential to weathering the long days at home. Condor Chocolates has you covered with the most amazing creations, made locally in Athens from beans brought directly from Equador.
- Every good southerner appreciates a good cheese straw, and home.made's are hands down the best! Other treats available in Chef Mimi's store include spicy pepper jelly pecans, t-shirts, and gift cars, too.
- Cookie dough may be the ultimate comfort food, and Alumni Cookie Dough is offering free shipping to southeastern addresses. Yum!
- The Red & Black student newspaper has launched an Art for Athens online fundraising effort to benefit local service workers. Local artwork is donated and offered for sale and 100% of proceeds will be donated to The Garrie Vereen Memorial Emergency Relief Fund, a local fund that supports workers in the Athens arts, music and service industries, and The Giving Kitchen, a Georgia-based nonprofit that assists restaurant workers experiencing hardship.
Know of others? Tell us!
None of our chef-owners wanted to have to, but in order to keep their staff paid and their lights on, several Athens restaurants have started GoFundMe fundraisers. They'd be mighty appreciative of any donations right about now.
Know of others? Tell us!
Buy a gift card to help your favorite Athens restaurant now and enjoy a wonderful meal later! Select from our Athens restaurants page, or see below for ways restaurants are making your gift card purchase do even more good.
- Last Resort Grill and Last Resorts Provisions are donating 50% of the face amount of every gift certificate purchased to employee support efforts, including groceries and other types of support.
Virtual Tip Jar
Find your favorite server bartender on this Athens Virtual Tip Jar spreadsheet and shoot them a tip by Venmo at your next virtual happy hour!
We encourage you to look for ways to #SupportAthensOwn on social, including our new Facebook Group. We'll be posting updates there and look forward to dining out again throughout Athens!
Did we overlook anyone? If so, let us know!