ATHENS HOLIDAY & WINTER EVENTS
Head to Athens, Georgia this holiday season!
Athens, Georgia, has quietly become a perfect holiday getaway. No football, no students, no problem!
Here are some festive holiday events, activities, and things to do to celebrate the holidays:
Grab the family and have some fun as ice skating returns to Athens! The rink will be outdoors at The Classic Center Pavilion all season long so you can return again and again. Plenty of new safety measures are being taken, making this outdoor activity both festive and comfortable. We've detailed all the changes and what you need to know about ice skating in Athens in 2020 on our blog.
Holiday Markets & Local Athens Gift Ideas:
Athens' amazing creative community is on full display at holiday open houses and artist markets.
- An all-new Holiday Fair at Athentic Brewery celebrates Small Business Saturday, Nov. 28.
- The Athens Farmers Market Holiday Artist Market will be back on Small Business Saturday, Nov. 28.
- Another new option is the Beechwood Holiday Market, each Thursday through Sunday starting on Dec. 4, which promises fun for all ages including a Christmas tree farm, hay rides, fire pits to roast smores and a live ornament and craft station. There will also be a holiday village complete with seasonal food fare, shopping, holiday vendors and Santa’s post office.
- The much-anticipated return of the Indie South Fair's Holiday Hooray outdoor market Dec. 12-13 will be back at its original location on Clayton Street in downtown Athens. Beyond finding thoughtful gifts, browsing through an outdoor holiday market is a great idea for spending time together with sisters, girlfriends, or a mother-daughter day out.
- Check out our Blog for more holiday markets and our events calendar for other events!
Beyond finding thoughtful gifts, browsing through an outdoor holiday market is a great idea for spending time together with sisters, girlfriends, or a mother-daughter day out.
We've got even more ideas in our Athens Holiday Gift Guide!
Even in 2020, you can find sounds of the season. Grammy-winner John Berry returns for the 24th year with his uber-popular Christmas Songs and Stories concert, at The Classic Center Theatre. The concert will follow safety protocols.
This year ushers in an all-new holiday tradition in downtown Athens. Light Up Athens, every Friday and Saturday evening in December, will be a show of twinkling lights, plus holiday music, character appearances, an Official Santa's Mailbox for children to drop off their wish lists, and S"elfie" Spots for more fun.
More Athens holiday events are being added to the calendar - check out featured holiday events below!
Athens Holiday Events Calendar
Athens Staycation and Friends & Family Packages & Offers
Wondering how to share the holidays with friends and family, and do it safely? Rather than crowding everyone into one home, consider booking a local Athens hotel room or suite to provide more space for your visiting friends and family to spread out. Athens is typically blessed with fairly mild weather in December, meaning families and friends can still gather together at a local park for outdoor activities and a picnic meal. This is the year to get creative and start some new traditions!
Athens hotels have made these special offers for locals hosting friends and family for the holidays or seeking an Athens staycation for themselves.