Sports and Recreation
Athens more than doubles its population on home football weekends with a tailgate scene that can’t be beat! The UGA sports action goes on far beyond football season, and best of all, admission to most UGA sports events is FREE! Athens also offers an extensive selection of athletics, natural resources, parks, and recreation. Take a walk (or hike, or climb, or kayak) that’s a bit off the beaten path!
Butts- Mehre Heritage Hall
- Check out UGA sports memorabilia, interactive displays, and video highlights from the best moments in Georgia sports history at Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall.
- See the 1980 national championship football trophy and Heisman trophies won by Frank Sinkwich and Herschel Walker, plus exhibits from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics sports held in Athens.
- Sport the Power G when you pick up any and all Georgia Bulldog items imaginable at emporiums like the
Then, and Now
- On historic North Campus, relax on Herty Field.
- This lovely lawn with sparkling fountain is the site of early Bulldog football games played under Pop Warner in the 1890s.
- It’s a far cry from Sanford Stadium, which seats 92,746 fans and is the nation’s fifth-largest on-campus college stadium today.
- Channel the “other” type of football at The Royal Peasant, a traditional-style English pub named one of America’s Best Sports Bars by CNN Travel.
- Or, head to Blind Pig Tavern for huge burgers and huge TV screens, plus interactive options from darts to trivia.
Let Them Run!
- Keep the kids occupied at Memorial Park and Bear Hollow Zoo, which includes a lake, picnic shelters, and playground area, plus a nature trail and dog park.
- The small zoo includes many species of Georgia’s native wildlife — the wooded setting stays shady for comfort in the summer months.
More Family Fun
Other family favorites include
- Sandy Creek Nature Center’s interactive animal exhibits and ADA-accessible trails
- The indoor Active Climbing facility
- The Tony Hawk-designed Skate Park of Athens
- and Classic City Rollergirls and UGA Ice Hockey matches at The Classic Center Arena.
Rollin’ on the River
- Visitors may not realize that the North Oconee River flows right by downtown Athens!
- A 3.5-mile Greenway linear park is open sunrise to sunset to all types of non-motorized uses, including dogs on leashes.
- Over 50 interpretive heritage markers are placed along a half-mile stretch by Dudley Park.
- Enjoy the beauty of the river with a one- to two-hour kayak trip from Big Dogs on the River.
Mar 24 - Mar 26, 2017
Come out to see the UGA Baseball team take on SEC rival, Auburn!
Jan 27 - May 30, 2017
This exhibit will explore the teams and players who have shaped the rich tradition of collegiate tennis in the…
Mar 25 - Mar 25, 2017
The 5th Annual Fun Run Toward Sustainability will be an unofficial 5K within the State Botanical Garden of…
Mar 25 - Jul 29, 2017
Dates and Times: Saturday, March 25 @ 11:30-12:45 Saturday, April 15 @ 11:30-12:45 Sunday, June 18 @…