Sports and Recreation
Athens more than doubles its population on home football weekends with a tailgate scene that can’t be beat! The UGA sports action goes on far beyond football season, and best of all, admission to most UGA sports events is FREE! Athens also offers an extensive selection of athletics, natural resources, parks, and recreation. Take a walk (or hike, or climb, or kayak) that’s a bit off the beaten path!
Butts- Mehre Heritage Hall
- Check out UGA sports memorabilia, interactive displays, and video highlights from the best moments in Georgia sports history at Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall.
- See the 1980 national championship football trophy and Heisman trophies won by Frank Sinkwich and Herschel Walker, plus exhibits from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics sports held in Athens.
- Sport the Power G when you pick up any and all Georgia Bulldog items imaginable at emporiums like the
Then, and Now
- On historic North Campus, relax on Herty Field.
- This lovely lawn with sparkling fountain is the site of early Bulldog football games played under Pop Warner in the 1890s.
- It’s a far cry from Sanford Stadium, which seats 92,746 fans and is the nation’s fifth-largest on-campus college stadium today.
- Channel the “other” type of football at The Royal Peasant, a traditional-style English pub named one of America’s Best Sports Bars by CNN Travel.
- Or, head to Blind Pig Tavern for huge burgers and huge TV screens, plus interactive options from darts to trivia.
Let Them Run!
- Keep the kids occupied at Memorial Park and Bear Hollow Zoo, which includes a lake, picnic shelters, and playground area, plus a nature trail and dog park.
- The small zoo includes many species of Georgia’s native wildlife — the wooded setting stays shady for comfort in the summer months.
More Family Fun
Other family favorites include
- Sandy Creek Nature Center’s interactive animal exhibits and ADA-accessible trails
- The indoor Active Climbing facility
- The Tony Hawk-designed Skate Park of Athens
- and Classic City Rollergirls and UGA Ice Hockey matches at The Classic Center Arena.
Rollin’ on the River
- Visitors may not realize that the North Oconee River flows right by downtown Athens!
- A 3.5-mile Greenway linear park is open sunrise to sunset to all types of non-motorized uses, including dogs on leashes.
- Over 50 interpretive heritage markers are placed along a half-mile stretch by Dudley Park.
- Enjoy the beauty of the river with a one- to two-hour kayak trip from Big Dogs on the River.
Sep 22, 2017
Every Friday prior to home football games, the exhibit 'Covered With Glory: Football at UGA, 1892-1917' will…
Sep 22, 2017
Come out ot see Georgia Women's Volleyball take on SEC rivals Alabama.
Sep 22, 2017
The UGA Women's Equestrian Team hopes to start out the season strong with their first scrimmage. Come out to…
Sep 23, 2017
The Georgia Bulldogs take on the Mississippi State Bulldogs in the third home game of the 2017 season. The…