Athens Wedding FAQ, Tips, and Help
Q: How can the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau help me with planning my wedding?
A: 6-12 months before the big day:
- Consult our website's list of venues for ideas of both traditional and unconventional venues.
- Advance bookings of hotels can be secured during this period of time. Review our Athens GA hotel listings and contact the hotel's director of sales directly to inquire about room blocks for your guests.
- Shuttle services and transportation needs should also be reserved well in advance; transportation options are listed here.
- We are a proud member of the Athens Wedding Professionals. This non-profit, professional organization is dedicated to assisting couples with their wedding day by offering a specialized network of professionals in all areas on the wedding industry, including photography, catering, wedding planners, flowers, and more.
Q: What can you expect when working with hotels to secure room block bookings?
A: The hotel's sales representative will request the following information:
- What is the date and location of the ceremony and reception?
- How many guests do you expect?
- How many of those do you estimate will need to hotel rooms? For how many nights?
- Do you have any special requests (e.g. bridal and/or family suite; banquet room for brunch the date after)?
Q: How does the contract process with Athens hotels work?
A: After the hotel has received your request:
- The hotel(s) will contact you to ensure that they have all necessary details and contact information regarding the event. You will need to provide a credit card to secure the rooms but *you are not responsible for the booking of the rooms.*
- You will finalize your requests regarding room types and the exact number needed.
- You will establish a cut-off date; after that date, neither the rate nor the availability can be guaranteed. *Be sure to communicate both the hotel name(s) and the cut-off date to your guests.*
Q: How can the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau help me with my wedding planning a month before the big day?
A: Request Athens travel literature or welcome bags to provide to your out of town guests, using our materials request form. Examples include:
- Athens Visitors Guide
- Flagpole Guide to Athens
- Local maps, regional brochures, etc.
Please allow five business days to fulfill the request.
Plus, Check out the CVB online calendar of events
- Click the Search button and enter the dates your guests will be in town for your wedding.
- Select the print button for a list of events to send to your family and friends or post on your wedding website.
- Or, select individual events of interest by clicking "add to Trip Planner." After selecting the events you'd like to recommend to your guests, click on "View Trip" to get a custom URL to share news about hip and happening cultural events taking place in town during your event!