Athens, GA Bands and Brews Itinerary
Athens has been called “Live Music Central” by The New York Times, the best college music scene by Rolling Stone, and one of America’s best cities for singer-songwriters by Livability.com. Home of legendary bands such as R.E.M., the B-52s, Widespread Panic, and the Drive by Truckers, you can hear live music nightly at acclaimed venues like the Georgia Theatre and 40 Watt Club.
Athens is also known as a rising star on the craft beer scene. Head to one of Athens’ local breweries and meet brewers passionate about crafting exceptional beer and capturing the creative energy of the town they love.
Your Bands and Brews Itinerary
Athens Music Walking Tour
- Stop off for a bite at Weaver D’s, whose soul food counter service inspired R.E.M.’s album title, “Automatic for the People.”
- Dine alongside local musicians at Mama’s Boy or The Grit.
Grab Some Gear
Browse through a real record store!
- Wuxtry is where members of R.E.M. first met.
- Seek out more hard-to-find albums and local band tees at Lo Yo Yo Stuff and Atomic Athens vintage.
- Score some hot new threads along Clayton St.’s boutiques and more vintage shops on Jackson St.
- Head to the UGA Special Collections galleries for interactive exhibits on all things Georgia, including broadcast media and music.
Live Music & Club Crawl
“I love the Athens audience. They’re not pretentious, but they do have high standards.”
--Musician Kishi Bashi
Start out at earlier shows you’ll find at
Stay out late with a national touring act, regional draw, or local favorite in Athens’ acclaimed clubs such as the
Check out upcoming music performances and special craft brewery events at our events calendar.
Craft Brewery Tour & Tastings
Spend happy hour at the source of good times and good beer, with a tour, tastings, and live music at
- The National is just across Hancock St. from Creature Comforts and is one of Athens’ most notable dining destinations.
- Continue with the craft beer theme at Trappeze Pub, with an on-point food menu plus extensive selection of beer on tap.
- Or, dine atop the rooftop of the Georgia Theatre for breathtaking sunset and city skyline views.
More Bands and Brews Tips:
The holiday season in Athens, GA is a festive time with endless opportunities for celebration. Now is the…
Going off to college is an exciting time, but especially so if you're lucky enough to be a new UGA…
Summer is one of the best times of year to experience Athens. The vibe is a bit more low-key and there's…
Athens is a renowned music destination, and summer is one of the best times of the year to experience the…
Dec 16, 2018
The Athens Master Chorale kicks off its Season with a Holiday Concert Sunday, December 16th, at 4:00 p.m. in…
Dec 21, 2018
Jane Lynch–an Emmy and Golden Globe winner for her portrayal of Sue Sylvester on Glee and the two-time…
Dec 31, 2018
Come celebrate New Years with Kishi Bashi at The 40 Watt! Kishi Bashi is the pseudonym of singer,…
Dec 31, 2018
Home.Made will be open On Monday night, Dec. 31st for a New Year’s Eve dinner! They will have a bunch of…