Athens, GA Bands and Brews Itinerary
Athens has been called “Live Music Central” by The New York Times, the best college music scene by Rolling Stone, and one of America’s best cities for singer-songwriters by Livability.com. Home of legendary bands such as R.E.M., the B-52s, Widespread Panic, and the Drive by Truckers, you can hear live music nightly at acclaimed venues like the Georgia Theatre and 40 Watt Club.
Athens is also known as a rising star on the craft beer scene. Head to one of Athens’ local breweries and meet brewers passionate about crafting exceptional beer and capturing the creative energy of the town they love.
Your Bands and Brews Itinerary
Athens Music Walking Tour
- Stop off for a bite at Weaver D’s, whose soul food counter service inspired R.E.M.’s album title, “Automatic for the People.”
- Dine alongside local musicians at Mama’s Boy or The Grit.
Grab Some Gear
Browse through a real record store!
- Wuxtry is where members of R.E.M. first met.
- Seek out more hard-to-find albums and local band tees at Lo Yo Yo Stuff and Atomic Athens vintage.
- Score some hot new threads along Clayton St.’s boutiques and more vintage shops on Jackson St.
- Head to the UGA Special Collections galleries for interactive exhibits on all things Georgia, including broadcast media and music.
Live Music & Club Crawl
“I love the Athens audience. They’re not pretentious, but they do have high standards.”
--Musician Kishi Bashi
Start out at earlier shows you’ll find at
Stay out late with a national touring act, regional draw, or local favorite in Athens’ acclaimed clubs such as the
Check out upcoming music performances and special craft brewery events at our events calendar.
Craft Brewery Tour & Tastings
Spend happy hour at the source of good times and good beer, with a tour, tastings, and live music at
- The National is just across Hancock St. from Creature Comforts and is one of Athens’ most notable dining destinations.
- Continue with the craft beer theme at Trappeze Pub, with an on-point food menu plus extensive selection of beer on tap.
- Or, dine atop the rooftop of the Georgia Theatre for breathtaking sunset and city skyline views.
More Bands and Brews Tips:
Continuing in our series on Athenians that make our city so unique: Athens, Georgia has a world…
The holiday season in Athens, GA is a festive time with endless opportunities for celebration. Now is the…
Athens Spotlight: Fringe Festival Get ready for the Classic City Fringe Festival October…
Calling all craft beer lovers! If you haven't experienced Terrapin Beer Co . in Athens, GA,…
Dec 8 - Dec 10, 2016
The Athens Chamber Singers invites guests to join them for their annual Yuletide Musical Dinner, celebrating…
Dec 10 - Dec 11, 2016
Join friends for a wonderful Christmas concert featuring the Athens Symphony Chorus.There will be a Saturday…
Dec 10 - Dec 10, 2016
The Athens Historic House Museum Association presents its annual award-winning Holiday Spirits Tour, scheduled…
Dec 31 - Dec 31, 2016
Make the smart choice this year and ring in 2017 with Graduate Athens and a totally awesome 80's experience…