Athens, GA Bands and Brews Itinerary
Athens has been called “Live Music Central” by The New York Times, the best college music scene by Rolling Stone, and one of America’s best cities for singer-songwriters by Livability.com. Home of legendary bands such as R.E.M., the B-52s, Widespread Panic, and the Drive by Truckers, you can hear live music nightly at acclaimed venues like the Georgia Theatre and 40 Watt Club.
Athens is also known as a rising star on the craft beer scene. Head to one of Athens’ local breweries and meet brewers passionate about crafting exceptional beer and capturing the creative energy of the town they love.
Your Bands and Brews Itinerary
Athens Music Walking Tour
- Stop off for a bite at Weaver D’s, whose soul food counter service inspired R.E.M.’s album title, “Automatic for the People.”
- Dine alongside local musicians at Mama’s Boy or The Grit.
Grab Some Gear
Browse through a real record store!
- Wuxtry is where members of R.E.M. first met.
- Seek out more hard-to-find albums and local band tees at Lo Yo Yo Stuff and Atomic Athens vintage.
- Score some hot new threads along Clayton St.’s boutiques and more vintage shops on Jackson St.
- Head to the UGA Special Collections galleries for interactive exhibits on all things Georgia, including broadcast media and music.
Live Music & Club Crawl
“I love the Athens audience. They’re not pretentious, but they do have high standards.”
--Musician Kishi Bashi
Start out at earlier shows you’ll find at
Stay out late with a national touring act, regional draw, or local favorite in Athens’ acclaimed clubs such as the
Check out upcoming music performances and special craft brewery events at our events calendar.
Craft Brewery Tour & Tastings
Spend happy hour at the source of good times and good beer, with a tour, tastings, and live music at
- The National is just across Hancock St. from Creature Comforts and is one of Athens’ most notable dining destinations.
- Continue with the craft beer theme at Trappeze Pub, with an on-point food menu plus extensive selection of beer on tap.
- Or, dine atop the rooftop of the Georgia Theatre for breathtaking sunset and city skyline views.
More Bands and Brews Tips:
The best season of the year is slowly approaching and no, I'm not just talking about…
Feel the music this summer in Athens, Georgia! Music can be found anywhere, whether it's a one-night show…
For those looking for a different experience or a unique souvenir to take home from your next trip to Athens,…
Paste Magazine is known for being on top of trends, so we know you'll be as interested (and thrilled) as…
Sep 22, 2017
UGA vs Mississippi State home-game weekend! Michelle Malone and Drag The River @ 8:00 PM; Drivn' N' Cryin' @…
Oct 6, 2017
On Oct. 6, the third concert in the 2017 ExploreGeorgia.org Songwriter Series will be at The Foundry in…
Oct 7, 2017
The 33rd annual North Georgia Folk Festival will be held on Saturday, October 7, 2017, at Sandy Creek Park in…
Oct 7, 2017
Classic Entertainment presents Grammy Award®-winning artists The SteelDrivers at the 440 Foundry Pavilion at…